WWYD--disappointed in new 13" display--what now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mom'smac, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mom'smac macrumors newbie

First, I'm new to posting here, though I've lurked a bit over the past few months. Since my question involves a MBA, a MBP and the new alum MB, I wasn't sure which was the appropriate forum, but I settled on this one because there are already several threads about the disappointing display.

Anyway, I've had a MBA for 4-5 months and love it. However, when I got the MBA I also had a desktop pc, which has since bit the dust. I much prefer the Mac and so have not repaired the pc (actually I think my husband has already scavenged the parts). I've done pretty well with the MBA as my only computer, but not surprisingly I've found myself needing a little more horsepower and storage space.

My primary needs are photo editing, some word processing and of course web browsing. Obviously the first one is the problem with the MBA. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well some of my software runs on it, but I don't enjoy having to store almost all my photos on an external drive. I can't justify spending big bucks on anything right now, but when the new alum MB came out I figured I could improve the situation a bit for not much money. But the crummy display has turned out to be a deal breaker for me. I can't believe how it looks compared with the MBA.

So, now I'm trying to decide whether to stick with the MBA and get some network attached storage (which I'm concerned will be too slow) or get a last generation 15" MBP (which means sacrificing the size and weight of the MBA). Any suggestions? Is there something I haven't considered?

Thanks!

2. nemein macrumors newbie

The problem with last gen MBP is the questionable 8600m GT video card, although I never heard anything solid against it (or any mass failures).

If you don't mind that little aspect, and if you don't mind lugging around a 15" screen, I think it'd be probably better to get the older MBP, especially since you still have the Matte option and you're a photographer.

3. posimosh macrumors newbie

posimosh

Its not so bad...

I'm used to a huge pc screen. all it did was hurt my eyes and my back. Pretty much any tv now a days is easily connectable... thats what i do with my mac book and sony vega. HA i can even create my own crawler, ya know like they do on the news channels.

4. mom'smac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks--I wasn't aware of any issue w/ the video card--I'll look into that.

I've been leaning toward the MBP, but I think my husband would like to see me keep the Air (though he doesn't use it much, so his vote doesn't get much weight). Decisions, decisions . . . .

5. mom'smac thread starter macrumors newbie

I do connect to an external display for some of my work, but I'd really like my photos and such to look nice on the laptop display too. On the alum MB, the blacks are washed out, and the whites have a blue cast that I can't get rid of despite calibration with a Spyder2. Such a bummer.

6. posimosh macrumors newbie

posimosh

What do you use to connect with at work. Im a noob when it comes to mac bbut i hook it to my ps3 via router and it is quite clear.... but slow. at least it doesnt crash like my pc constantly did. Perhaps you could find some sort of server/media storage link with hdmi or s video cable if you then just stream it to the router or if the router is set up with some sort of media user interface that can run from the mac via the router... there is a thread in here about using ur mac for home enertainment which is why i joined in the first place. let me kno what you figure out.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I really want an MB with and MBA screen. That would be the perfect machine for me right now. I've even considered buying the MB and having the MBA screen put in...not certain if they are swappable. I feel your pain.

You may consider an external USB2.0 drive rather than anything wireless. Not as good as firewire, but still pretty decent. Cheap and big.

8. bektravels macrumors regular

Hey if it helps I use a new MB for photo editing and it flies with Lightroom & CS3, even RAW ain't too bad. IMO, the screen isn't that bad as long as you keep the reflections away.

I guess it all depends on what you're used to and I was coming from an old PB so major improvements were pretty obvious in terms of speed and even the display.

Having said that, I hear that the MBA's screen is pretty nice so you might miss that going to a MB.

9. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Sounds like you're pretty happy with the MBA.

Why not look into selling it and upgrading to the MBA 2.0? The guts are all upgraded. With the 9400M graphics and Penryn chip, it should be a screamer compared to the OG Air. The 120gb HD will give you some more storage space to play with.

Wait a few days for benchmarks and to see if the overheating and core shutdown issues have been fixed.

10. Philflow macrumors 65816