Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
have a 2011 macbook air

was hoping the retina air announcement today would be the one, but having usb-c only and removal of magsafe seems meh to me.

I don't necessarily want to carry a hub around all the time even for hooking up simple external drives.

8gb/256gb (which would be an upgrade from my 4/128 air) is $1159+tax on apple refurb so its about $1243.

for about another $100 after upgrading to 8/256 13" model of the latest that was just refreshed and 15% discount through a friend, it'd be about a hundred more.

almost a no brainer except no return policy in case i get a lemon or lemon display, unlike refurb that has standard return policy, in addition to on the latest not being able to roll back to Mavericks easily without doing some modifying at best, its Yosemite onward really like my 2011 air was Lion onward and not snow leopard capable (without hacks, shady)

Mid 2014, can still load Mavericks. Which I prefer on my Air, the performance hit wasn't worth it or DLNA subtitle issues (separate issue that may be resolved, but performance hit is no good)

what would you do? maybe even hold off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.