WXGA to WXGA+? Possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hitek324, Apr 6, 2009.

1. hitek324 macrumors newbie

I've got a new unibody MacBook and love it... the one thing that DOES get me, though, is the relatively low resolution on the internal LCD. I was just reading about a Lenovo (X300, I believe), that has a similar footprint; 13.3" LED LCD, very light... all that, but it has a panel that is able to display at 1440x900!

Anyone know if it'd be feasible to swap out the LCD panel from the ThinkPad into the MB? I'm thinking it MIGHT be thin enough to fit into the already tiny LCD enclosure on the MBs (it IS LED; not CCFL). And, I mean, there shouldn't be any reason why it WOULDN'T work, right? The 9400M hardware is capable of displaying up to 2560x1600 via its Mini DisplayPort. Does anyone -- someone with more electrical knowledge -- know if it'd be possible to swap out these panels?

I wish I'd known about the refurbished models that were up for sale on Apple's online store before I got this machine... I woulda probably gotten a MBP 15.4. Speaking of which; I've only had this machine for about 7 days; do you think they'd allow a return if my plan was to buy an upgraded model (and not charge me the restocking fee)?

I know that got gotta convoluted... I'd appreciate any responses to that... Moderators, move/alter as necessary.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, you have 14 days to evaluate the product and can return it with in that time, no questions asked. I don't know about the restocking fee, but if you wanna buyer a more expensive model, they will likely forget to charge you with that fee.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Hang on a sec...so you want to buy TWO laptops (the MB and the X300), destroy the X300 and at the same time void the warranty on the MB?

I know OS X is good....but not sure it's that good :D

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

To the best of my knowledge no one has figured out how to remove the glass and refasten it so it doesn't really matter if the screen is compatible if you can't use it. TechRestore doesn't do higher res screens.

5. keertib macrumors newbie

Do the new MacBooks also have a glass covering the display? I thought it was only the MacBook Pros...

Also, I found this link on ScreenTek's website for a 1440x900 panel for a MacBook Pro: http://www.screentekinc.com/Apple_MacBook_Pro--13.3-inch--1440x900-wxgaplus-laptop-lcd-screen.shtml

However, when I called them they could not tell me which part this would be. Instead the sales rep "Rob B." I think, kept insisting that I needed to give him the part number from my laptop. Guh :confused:

It sounded like I could not even purchase this part without knowing which part number it was apriori, so...