Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
Hi,

I normally build my websites from scratch. However, I am working on a website for someone who needs to be able to update the content of the site frequently and she would like to be able to do that herself. (I would like that too.)
She has tried Wordpress.com but there is not enough options with theme layouts for her.

What programs are available that would allow her to take the finished site and be able to update it herself without a lot of knowledge of html, css, etc. Basically one she could change content by site.

I do not know at the moment whether she is on Windows or Mac so both suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Mary

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I came on that recently, and went with Weebly for hosting, just because it offered a simple interface that any of the users can use without much of a learning curve. No code to deal with, no editing before adding photos.

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
Personally I would never use software like this because today having a website is more than just design pages + upload them.

But if I had to use software like this I would install Blocs app for Mac. Results made with this apps is what comes closes to a real website. :)
http://blocsapp.com

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Subscribing to see what else is recommended. I might need this in the near future. Websites are much more advanced than what I created with Frontpage 10-15 years ago.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Personally I would never use software like this because today having a website is more than just design pages + upload them.

I have to agree with this. Websites stopped being designed like this several years ago because now almost every site is built around dynamic code and with responsive designs that change with screen size. The best way to see the results of your design/css/code changes are to use code view in a web browser. In Safari you need to activate the Develop menu in Preferences > Advanced. Then right/ctrl click on an element in the page and select inspect element. Safari will then allow you to see the exact code that relates to this element and even allows you to change the related CSS to see how it would look. With this you will learn to code in no time.

If your site/page uses php/mysql then you can run it on your local machine using MAMP while you design and edit the layout.

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
I think it's not all about the dynamic and advanced part of the website - it's more about all the indirect stuff that usually comes with a website and that people totally forget.

You can find a few solid apps that will make you a responsive layouts and optimize your images for Retina screens or add animation effects to your pages. All in an easy to use workflow. The problem is you're not an animator so you're going to overdo all the effects and the result will be that your entire website content moves or slides into place when you scroll on page. This is so bad and annoying.

About a week ago I made a super simple 5 page website and I thought, let's do this with a static HTML and CSS. No Javascript, keep it all very lean and optimized on speed because why would you install a CMS for something that small, right?. It works perfect but after a few days you realize why a CMS is so * damn handy.

This: On page SEO feedback while writing page content for your website is so important. I mean you don't have to be an SEO expert to follow the feedback below and try to make all dots green before you press publish. This is even doable for people without any search engine knowledge and it should be standaard while writing content. Even if you're not focussing on being in the top rankings. This doesn't mean you won't be in 3 or 4 years from now.

IbKOkVx.png

Redirects is the same thing. There is no easy to use design app that let's you find broken pages on your site and redirect them to the right page with a single click.

All those indirect options to your site often controlled easily by a CMS is why you should use one. I mean, I found out the hard way a week ago. I uploaded this site with speed and optimized in mind but 2 days later I noticed how complicated it was to only test my SEO score on page without this plugin above. Everything you have to do manually and static. It's dramatic.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I am so out of the loop when it comes to this now. I used to have a site that generated millions of dollars per year in sales. Doing some research to possibly do it again and see that it will require much more work. That's why companies get good money to build websites.

TodJacob

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2016
London
I would really suggest just basing your site on Wordpress. You can do the design in wordpress with CSS using an existing or premium theme. Then the customer can update via the WYSIWYG editor in wordpress. If they want more functionality that the (limited) WYSIWYG editor in WP provides, you can install a development engine like Genesis Framework etc. That's what I did when I rebuilt my site recently.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Check out Webflow. They have a system for standalone sites and a full CMS. They are doing some really innovative work around creating visual interfaces for complex structures (like Flexbox)

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Check out Webflow. They have a system for standalone sites and a full CMS. They are doing some really innovative work around creating visual interfaces for complex structures (like Flexbox)

I like Webflow as well. Now if they could just have something more geared to mobile development, it would be a great platform to build apps. HTML>PhoneGap>App

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I can also highly recommend blocs as well! This is a powerful tool, and the simplicity and gorgeous UI makes it a joy to work with. Filled with a lot of powerful features as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.