X Code and Cocoa

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by larswik, Aug 16, 2010.

1. larswik macrumors 68000

Qucik question here. I understand the purpose of XCode since I am reading through a text book and following the tutorials. Now, Is Cocoa just the interface builder? The book that I am reading, Programing in Objective C 2.0, seems not to go into Cocoa or not yet.

I am curious about the connectivity of Xcode and the connectivity to the GUI. Right now in the book I just finished Switches. I would like to get a number generator and try to connect it to a GUI from interface builder.

Can some some one direct me to good tutorials on how Xcode interfaces with Interface builder.

Thanks!

-Lars

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Xcode is just an IDE. You don't need to use it if you don't want too. A simple text editor will do the same job coupled with something like "make" which will build your project. Xcode has nothing to do with interfaces other than the fact that you type the code in that will tie your interface together.

Interface Builder is what you use to build interfaces. Again though you don't need to use it if you don't want too. It is possible to make interfaces entirely programmatically.

Cocoa is a set of frameworks (AKA APIs) written in Objective-C for Mac OS X.

I'd finish off the book you are reading before worrying about Interface Builder too much. The Hillegass book will teach you what you need to know in that area.

3. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

The second half of that book covers the basics of what's known as the "Foundation Framework". Cocoa is made up of two main components: the "Foundation Framework" and "Appkit." Foundation Framework is comprised of all of the command-line classes, and doesn't deal with user-facing stuff. Appkit encompasses all of the classes that deal with GUI's and user inter-action.

The Cocoa frameworks are absolutely massive, and you will spend a fair amount of time reading the Apple docs, and learning how to use the existing API's when writing a Cocoa app (nobody ever learns the whole thing). After you finish the Kochan book (which is great), you should move on to Hillegass, and he'll walk you through the basics of building some pretty neat GUI apps.

You really need a solid grasp of the basics though before pressing forward into more complicated things, or else you will quickly run into problems. Don't worry, just about everything you're learning in the Kochan book is pretty critical to writing Cocoa apps, so you don't need to be concerned that you're learning stuff you'll never use.

4. larswik thread starter macrumors 68000

Words of wisdom from you guys, thanks! I'll just stay the course and keep with the Kochan book. You both mentioned the Hillegass book so I guess it is good.

Thanks for the advice!!!

-Lars