Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

X, formerly Twitter, now supports passkeys as a login option for iOS users in the United States, the company has announced.

X-twitter-logo.jpg

Passkeys are both easier to use and more secure than passwords because they let users sign in to apps and sites the same way they unlock their devices: With Face ID, Touch ID, or a device passcode. Passkeys are also resistant to online attacks like phishing, making them more secure than things like SMS one-time codes.

Apple integrated passkeys into iOS in 2022 with the launch of iOS 16, and it is also available in iPadOS 16.1 and later as well as macOS Ventura and later.

To set up passkeys in X, follow these steps:
  1. Log in to the X app.
  2. Click Your account in the navigation bar.
  3. Select Settings and privacy, then click Security and account access, then Security.
  4. Under Additional password protection, click Passkey.
  5. Enter your password when prompted.
  6. Select Add a passkey and follow the prompts.
X says passkeys are currently only rolling out to iPhone users in the U.S., and hasn't said when the feature will be extended to other platforms and countries.

X is just one of several companies to implement support for passkeys over the past year, with other supporting apps and websites including Google, PayPal, Best Buy, eBay, Dashlane, and Microsoft.

Article Link: X for iOS Adds Support for Passkeys, Allowing for More Secure Logins

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
They’re continuing to make improvements to the platform, and it is still running pretty smooth in spite of the “experts” claiming it would be dead in the water. I like passkeys for those in my family who enjoyed making their passwords the same across platform.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I still haven't started using passkeys. I get the idea behind them but they aren't widely implemented yet and maybe I'm too old but I don't understand how they work fully. I'm not sure if my password manager supports them or if I can back them up ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
People hate when he tries to make the business produce revenue, it lowers their chances of mocking the value of it.

Believe me, if Mastodon had more than a few hundred people smelling their own farts, it would try to create revenue streams also.

No, they can just say X though. It’s been X long enough at this point.

What’s the URL?

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
I still haven't started using passkeys. I get the idea behind them but they aren't widely implemented yet and maybe I'm too old but I don't understand how they work fully. I'm not sure if my password manager supports them or if I can back them up ?

Or call it by the proper name...and it's shorter. So you really need to go out of your way to be wrong.
What password manager do you use? The iPhone can create and store them across your account. Here's what it is according to the FIDO alliance and a directory of websites currently supporting passkeys.

People will do whatever they can to mock the continued existence of X, just like climate deniers.
The Apple app store is by no means the only measure of how well a business is doing, if it were the sole method, sideloading would not be in the headlines.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
The Apple app store is by no means the only measure of how well a business is doing
That's why Gruber also cites the Android store, showing that X/Twitter is doing a similar catastro-plunge down the app rankings there as well.

It's almost as if "come rub elbows with crypto-bros and neo-Nazis" isn't a great pitch if you're not a crypto-bro or neo-Nazi yourself.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Off topic, but wasn't there a policy against short names in the App Stor that Apple changed for Twitter/X to allow the rename to occur? Did this policy officially change or just allowed for incumbent apps.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008

Or call it by the proper name...and it's shorter. So you really need to go out of your way to be wrong
What’s the URL?
Twitter 2.0 gets the respect of its new name being used, but everyone still calls this guy "Prince" after all these years :cool:

View attachment 2340621

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I tried this but couldn't get it work.

...oh yea, forgot that I network-wide blocked x.com and twitter.com on my router. None of the other three people in my house have noticed.

My bad.

Last edited:

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC
Twitter has become more irrelevant every day. He lost so many billions on it due to his bad business and operational decisions that he's now asking to be granted more shares in TSLA by the board. Nobody cares about Twitter any more.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
No need for the App Store when one of the investors with Musk in the venture recently wrote down their debt, giving a valuation that has dropped 72% since he bought it.
Although to be fair, that drop in Fidelity’s valuation of their holding may have been Fidelity selling some of its stake in Ex-Twitter while it’s still worth the postage stamp to do so.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Sure are a lot of people who do not care about the platform still talking about it.
The same would be true, I think, of any $44B company being basically cratered in a year. People still talk about the Titanic too — and for the same reason.

Reactions: Jensend

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
No need for the App Store when one of the investors with Musk in the venture recently wrote down their debt, giving a valuation that has dropped 72% since he bought it.

Rolling Store: Elon Musk's X is Worth 72% Less than When He Bought it According to Fidelity
It was absolutely a terrible business deal, Twitter grossly over-inflated its value and had used useless employees on the roles to help pad the numbers. Luckily in that article, by a most reputable magazine, the author makes note that the valuation by Fidelity is their own analysis and valuations by other investors may be different.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
They’re continuing to make improvements to the platform, and it is still running pretty smooth in spite of the “experts” claiming it would be dead in the water. I like passkeys for those in my family who enjoyed making their passwords the same across platform.
Despite what I've perceived to be a general disdain on Macrumors forums for Musk and his platform, I appreciate what he's done and am heartened to read he's making improvements. Now, I'll go back to paying the subscription when they get around to updating the desktop app, which is a carryover from the sad, pre-Musk Twitter days.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and Sciomar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.