X impressions from an 8 owner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Nov 4, 2017.

1. puma1552 Suspended

A lot of impressions from plus users, not many from non plus users.

Just played with an X at Target, and compared it to my regular 8.

Good:

-Higher PPI is noticeable and should be the standard moving forward
    -Black levels are a bit better than my 8 as expected
    -Size feels nice
    -Build quality is there
    -Lack of home button is no big deal
    -Notch is no problem

Bad:

-Color gamut seemed virtually the same as my 8, was expecting a LITTLE more saturation considering my old 6 was more saturated than my 8 is. Accurate? Probably, but a tad more saturation would really be nice - my 6 looked amazing without looking cartoonish. X doesn't seem to even meet my 6.
    -Color temp seemed fine, about the same as my 8. For me personally, I like a cooler screen (true tone/night shift off, full brightness). Not really a problem, just a little disappointing.
    -Brightness just didn't seem all that different if at all under the Target lights. Again, full brightness, auto off, true tone/night shift off.
    -Aspect ratio is weird, just a longer 8.

Verdict:

A great phone for anyone on a 6/6S/7. I probably wouldn't go from any of those to an 8, but I came from an SE after my 6 so the 8 was plenty. That said, it didn't feel anywhere near $300 better than my 8, particularly because the screen didn't seem to justify it, which for me is what I was really looking for to justify the price - a *substantial* screen upgrade but all youcan really see is a higher PPI and better blacks, which only gets me halfway there (want a little more saturation/brightness/coolness personally).

All in all, can't go wrong with an 8, 8+, or X. Just enjoy what you bought and don't care what others think.

2. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I ended up waiting for the X, but honestly it was a hard decision. I always liked the old 7Plus/8 formfactor. I think folks will like either one.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think that's the biggest thing for me, is the larger display in a smaller form factor with the iPhone X. Just giving that more comfortable feel when holding Compared to my iPhone 7 Plus.

4. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

But... but... my 8 Plus is such an inferior outdated product. I don't know if I'll be able to walk down the street without being the laughingstock of Seattle metro.

I don't know how I am going to bring myself to using it for the next year and dealing with this terribad A11 Bionic chip.

Somehow I'll manage I'm sure. There isn't anything better out there in a Plus size... and I need a Plus size in pretty much everything... except my women.

Ya'll enjoy your devices!

5. GGC20107 macrumors newbie