"X" Key Popped Off Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carljohnston28, Jan 21, 2016.

1. carljohnston28 macrumors member

So my "X" key came off. It still works when I press the plastic without the key. But the key won't go back on.

I took the keyboard to the Apple store and they can't put it on without redoing the whole keyboard.

Can I superglue it on or anything like that?

2. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

If we knew what the keyboard was attached to, it might help. Several years ago I had several keys come off (my fault) on my 2010 MBP. I never could get them back on, and discovered that they were broken just enough so that they would never reattach. There were sources for replacement keys all over the internet, but the prices were very high. In the end the cheapest repair was for me to buy a replacement keyboard and put it in myself. In you case if you just need one key, I'd look at a just buying a new one online. Avoid the CA adhesive for a fix.

3. carljohnston28 thread starter macrumors member

My fault, it's a 15" rMBP. I took it to the apple store and they tried to put a new key on it so it isn't the key, it is the keyboard (unfortunately).

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Then your only choice is to replace the keyboard. You can do it yourself with instructions from here: www.ifixit.com

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Is that some kind of cruel joke, directing him to iFixIt when his X key isn't working? ;)

6. chscag macrumors 68000

Re-read his initial post. The only downside of replacing the keyboard is having to buy a new one. It's the pits having to replace an entire keyboard because of one key. :(