X-mas and Live.com

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J B, Nov 29, 2008.

1. J B macrumors member

:apple:Hi everyone... first: in advance im sorry if this thread is a waste of time...
    anyway, I am a 15 year old who is getting a high end Macbook soon (its on the way!!! :D) For Christmas, i was hoping to ask for some cool accessory / software type "stuff" for it. I like to use everything from garageband, iTunes, iPhoto, and anything else. Other than iWork and a case...

Any ideas for cool Christmas gifts to compliment my MacBook (preferably under $100)?

Also, (not as important) what exactly is Live.com and can it be used to get cashback for any item on any site? (i.e. a $10 video game off eBay)

Thanks ! :apple:

edit: thanks for the live.com replies! i now know everything about it! (but am still curious about programs such as audacity)

2. bonesboom macrumors member

I don't know much but what I do know about the live.com cashback thing is that the item must be bought using Buy it now and that it has to be an auction from a Powerseller.

3. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

It doesn't have to be a Powerseller does it? I thought it just had to be a Buy It Now using PayPal..

4. bonesboom macrumors member

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Im pretty sure it can be from any seller.

The auction must be Buy-It Now
    Must be through eBay checkout
    US only
    eBay and PayPal email must be the same

read this: http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html?_trksid=m38

Back on topic:

Buy an external hard drive, maybe some RAM, case or sleeve?

Try not to use the Live.com deal with low cost items, because you wont save a lot. Use it on items that cost a lot, because you can only use 12.

6. MarkMissoula macrumors member

U.S. only? I bought a new Macbook from Canada and used Live and Ebay coupon.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The guy that you bought it from might have had a US based PayPal/eBay account. I tried buying Logic Studio from the UK and it didnt work. And in the fine print it says "are at least 18 years of age and reside in the United States."

8. MarkMissoula macrumors member

Hmm....i wonder if the $200 in my live cashback acc. that is pending will be denied because of it.

9. charliex5 macrumors regular

Yeah, just buy it now. I recently found a new unibody MacBook Pro that I ended up getting for $1500 after ebay discounts and the Live.com cashback. I'm pretty happy with it all in all.

10. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    No it doesn't,exactly correct,BUT make sure you go to live.com BEFORE YOU SHOP,WITH THE ITEM NUMBER,THEN BUY! (somehow it starts the process).This isn't clearly stated, so I think I may loose my 30% off the $145 price of Applecare for my MacBook. Which would have made it $101.50.:mad:Yeah I know, don't make my mistake, go there first

11. J B thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks so far i think i now understand the live.com offer
    stilll any ideas for cool software / accessories for my macbook?

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Here's more of a step-by-step and things to make sure happen:

1.Visit Microsoft Live Search: www.live.com
    2.In the Live Search box, enter your search for a product*.
    3.Click on any eligible eBay-sponsored ad. This brings you to the eBay site.

Important: Your cashback offer will be good for 60 minutes from the time you click the ad and arrive on eBay.com. You must complete a purchase on eBay of any eligible items within 60 minutes of clicking the ad. For definition of eligible items and conditions, see Terms of Use.
    4.Look for your cashback rebate percentage at the top of the eBay page (you MUST see this for it to apply. Don’t see it? Log out of ebay and return to step #1).
    5.After you purchase an eligible item and pay for it with PayPal, go to My Messages in My eBay for an email with instructions on how to claim your cashback.

Important: You must click the Get cashback button in the email.
    6.You now need to use the link in your My Messages to link a PayPal Account with your Microsoft Rebate Center Account.

Once you have linked these accounts, it may take a few days for the eBay purchase to be seen in your Microsoft Rebate Center account.
    7.Microsoft will deposit your cashback redemption into your PayPal account 60 days after the eBay transaction has successfully completed including payment. Once payment is requested, it may take up to 14 days to show up in your PayPal account.

*As of this posting, there is a loophole in how the cashback behaves. If you search a bunch of terms (like macbook, apple tv, etc) you will see that the % off changes for each item. Currently, if you click on the highest percent off to get taken to eBay, you will retain that higher % off, no matter what you actually end up purchasing. As of 11/29 searching for “Oscar grouch” will get you the 30%!

13. J B thread starter macrumors member

thanks again everyone....
    i now fully understand live.com, but...
    now my question is, what are some interesting [widgets, applications, programs] (i don't know what they are / where you get them since i dont actually have my macbook yet) such as Audacity that you use or know of and like? or any ones that are known to be interesting and work well

14. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Applications and programs are the same thing. Widgets are baby programs that run on your dashboard and are a lot like iPhone apps in behaviour.