X or 7. Upgrade or stick?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iScone, Sep 17, 2017.

1. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

Like many others, I let the 8/8+ pre-order launch. I'm coming from a 7 and the 8 doesn't represent a worthwhile upgrade. I've always hated the size of the Plus. So, like many others, I'm sitting here with a few weeks to contemplate the X.

I've watched as many hands-on videos as I can find, listened to as many vlogs as I can stomach, and read the reaction here and elsewhere. I'm still torn. I find that when I listen to others, I'm persuaded to stick with the 7. When I look at the X in action, I want it.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it's about trade-offs. For the beautiful screen, the better camera and Face ID (which I personally think will be a huge improvement on Touch ID), I have to put up with the following:

The Notch
    Vertically, the notch doesn't bother me at all. Blacking out the ears would have been great but it's fine as it is. Coming from the 7, the vertical X gives the biggest and best screen real estate (beating the Plus). In landscape mode, it's only a problem if I watch video in the incorrect aspect ratio, which I wouldn't do, so that's not a problem. The trade off here is surfing in landscape. The white bars either side of websites is hideous, even though the website itself would be bigger than on the 7.

The 4.7" aspect ratio display for video
    I'm not a huge fan of having to put up with bars on the phone because it's not built or designed to be able to use the entire display. For a phone being marketed as 'all screen', it's not exactly consistent. Again, coming from the 7 this is less of an issue. The display is never going to be smaller than what I have now, it's just it won't be any bigger when watching video without it being cropped, either. I could cope with that if it wasn't for...

The price
    This one is the kicker. Picking up the 64gb model (I don't need more) in Australia costs $1,569. Even when selling back the 7, that'll set me back over a grand. I hear lots of people saying it's not worth it and citing animojis (about which I couldn't care less), the same specs on the other models in lots of areas, but ultimately the X has a better screen and better camera. That's the reason why most of us upgrade when we do, and it's no different for the X. Coming from the 7, it represents a big upgrade.

So I'm still torn.

Who else is coming from a 7? What are your thoughts?

2. blahbrah macrumors 6502

I'm coming from a 5S but I would wait if cost is an issue. Apple is introducing this at a higher price but it'll probably drop down to 800ish once the R & D costs are recouped. The notch too will eventually go away and if these are concerns and if your 7 isn't acting up (hopefully it's not) they there's no reason not to wait.

3. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

4. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I’m using a 7 and I’m upgrading to the X because the notch doesn’t bother me much and for videos, even if it overlaps it means I get more viewing space which is definitely a plus for me. I can honestly say that it won’t bother me but it might for some.

Bigger screen estate (even though its verticle) is more than welcome and we finally get the camera features that the plus gets in the smaller form size.

Everything else such as OLED, wireless charging and face ID are bonuses. It sucks we don’t have Touch ID, but I can probably get past this but I’m not going to complain if they bring it back.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

And the peanut gallery chimes in. :p

6. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

If Apple did not put that notch and kept touch ID, I'd try it out even though I have the new Note 8. I just cannot get passed the notch or no fps.

7. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Haha good one! :D

8. cseggleton macrumors member

coming from the 7 I am not seeing enough to upgrade to 8 or X. now the watch 3 is a different story :)

9. pkahleeb macrumors regular

pkahleeb

Do not expect this phone to get cheap overnight. I would imagine we will have at least one more year at this kind of price until the components drop.

I have been reading that the processor in the iPhone X is more powerful on multi-core than the new 13" MacBook Pro. There is some serious tech in this phone! Makes me wonder if I should hold off on an iPad Pro upgrade now for the A11 Bionic X chip...

I am coming from the 7 and I am ready to move on. Touch ID doesn't work well on the 6 Plus or 7 Plus for me in so many daily situations. I am ready to embrace Face ID and that beautiful screen.

I also feel the "notch" will be a symbol of iPhone in the future and everyone may see it as an iconic design for the platform in the coming days. It is unique and stands out.

Regarding the Watch, I don't get it. I preordered one for my wife to replace her Series 2 Sport. She is a runner and wants to run without her phone but be safe. If you don't do this, I don't get it.

60 minutes talk time to kill the battery? 4 hours of LTE, Heartrate monitoring, and GPS to kill the battery? I will just keep my SS Series 2 and see what Series 4 brings.

10. cseggleton macrumors member

I'm a runner as well. Been waiting for LTE option. Love my Garmin 630 but tired of lugging my phone with me.

11. iScone thread starter macrumors 6502

iScone

Yeah that's where I'm at, really. The reaction to the notch is ridiculous, to me. It's a tiny space and really won't get in the way much at all, if ever, for the way I use my phone. Even the side bars for watching video are smaller than the bezels I have now (and much smaller than the bezels on the Plus), so it's an improvement every way.