Resolved X-Plane 10 And The Imac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Macman45, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Macman45, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just bought X-Plane 10, and a CH control yoke to go with. I'm currently running a 3.4GHZ Imac with 16GB RAM and 2GB VRAM.

In most Flight Sims, the CPU and physical RAM are what make for better performance, but X-Plane relies on VRAM (according to the specs) anybody running it on a machine with specs similar to mine, and what's the performance like?

2. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Am also planning on installing all of it to one of my RAID0 arrays on my Pegasus R4. This should (in theory) make for fast data load times. Unless the only install path is Macintosh HDD of course.

3. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

XP relies on far more than just VRAM. Depending on config, the CPU/GPU/Mobo and RAM are all taxed. If you have the latest i7 quad Imac with all options maxed out, you can get acceptable performance. It all comes down to your weather and rendering settings. Add too much on ANY computer, and you'll get a slideshow, if not a crash. Tweak until you get something useable. XP 10 is pretty much in a continuous state of development. You will find a TON of useful info at www.x-plane.org on the forums.

4. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks for the link...It does say that even a maxed out Pro can't take full advantage, so tweak I will a 3.4GHZ I7 should cope with medium settings by all accounts.

5. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Will mark this resolved. X-Plane 10 is installed and I'm up and running...There are a few controller issues which CH blame on ML...It's not a deal breaker, but the controller could be a little more stable...Having said that, it's the best of the bunch at the moment...CH Eclipse Yoke BTW.