OS X X-plane 10 question

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by gjm87, May 27, 2014.

1. gjm87 macrumors member

I am a huge flight sim fan, and I just bought a new macbook 15inch and I want to get x-plane for it. I know I have to get an external hard drive and the usb key if I don't want to use the discs to authorize my game play.

My question, before I invest in the game and joystick to go with it, I read some reviews that it takes hours to set up the joystick and keyboard commands. Is this true? How has everyone's experiences been with getting going right out of the box with this game?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Greg

2. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Since there is no other option, just get X-Plane.

I guess the closest runner up is WW2 Online and WarThunder, or perhaps Google Earth.

Simple airplanes (Cessna 172) will be quick to set up, more complex will take a while (747)

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Basic flight is possible with the keyboard alone. Pretty hard to do though :D

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Install the game may take very long time. However, setup the joystick is not hard at all. I only have a xbox joystick (AV8R-02), it cost me less than 5 min to setup and then I can enjoy flying the C172, F22, A330 with no problems at all.

For some more advance joystick, and if you want to optimise everything. It may cost you more time to do it. However, it's not a requirement before you can start playing the game.

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Check out FlightGear and YSFlight as well as X-Plane.

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

7. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

As others have said, the joystick setup is not very hard. I have a triple monitor setup with Track IR system and Saitek X52-Pro flight controls and it didn't take very long at all to get it all set up.

8. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Instead of buying a USB key you can make a disk image of the DVD (I think it's the first one) and just mount that before loading the sim.

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Correct, it works.

10. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

can you please advise how to make an disk image and how to mount it with OSX?

Thanks,
    daniele

11. in2tech, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

in2tech macrumors regular

I would also like to know how to make a mountable disk image using Disk Utility that comes with the Mac OS X? I own X-Plane 10 but hate having to hook up the Apple Super Dive to use the program and want to mount the game from a disk image but have never done this before. This is one of the reason's I still use MS Flight Simulator because it doesn't require a stupid disk when I want to fly, but I do have to boot into Windows and would like to try and stay in the Mac OS X!

It's disk one right?

Figured out how to do this and it was really easy. Just put X-Plane DVD #1 in Apple Superdrive and launched Disk Utility and choose create New Image and it made a disk image of DVD 1. I then right clicked the image and mounted it, and then run the game.

No problem, except I do not really have the hardware for X-Plane 10 (MacBook Air 2012) and it crashes a lot! Looks like it back to MS Flight Simulator in Boot Camp!

Thanks!