X-plane 9.xx

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmkonrath, Nov 10, 2010.

1. rmkonrath macrumors newbie

Anyone use it?

I used it back in the day when it was 5.xx and just recently bought it again.

If your interested at all in flight simulation it's only $29 right now. By far the best sim out there, WAY better that Microsoft flight sim. If you got a couple thousand to shell out you can actually log time towards a pilot certificate with it, that's how good it is.

Thanks

2. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

If you're a little less serious, you could play Il-2 1946. Battle of Britain Storm of War is going to be released in February. By far the best combat sim available. Steeeeeeeeeep learning curve though. Lots of available add ons as well.

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Curious, why is it better than MS Flight Sim (I haven't played X-Plane. I did download the demo jsut to see what I thought but they didn't give me any cheat sheet/PDF of what controls were so I couldn't figure out what was throttle and couldn't actually check it out since I couldn't figure out how to fly the plane).

Now, I'm not a pilot (my roommate is one) so not sure I'd notice if the physics are far better or if the plane acts like the real one. What I would notice is how good the scenery is, features like I love the virtual cockpit MS Flight sim has (does x-plane have that?), if it seems stable (I did seem to have that issue with MS Flight Sim 2000), and controls.

4. rmkonrath thread starter macrumors newbie

I make my living as a commercial pilot and flight instructor, so what I consider "best" might be different from some other people on this board.

As far as the simulation(aircraft physics it uses a different model than MSFS) which is much more accurate.

Graphics wise it has gotten a lot better. I haven't played for a LONG time but I do believe there are 3d cockpits now. When 10.0 releases in the next few months it will match if not be better than MSFS as far as scenery. For those interested it has a Mars simulator that uses physics based off the mars environment.

The online community is very good, the program itself comes with a plane creator as well as environment editor(edit airports/objects). X-plane.org is a very good community site that has TONS of free downloads(aircraft, scenery, etc).

I would recommend this game(especially at $29) to anyone who is interested in flight. p.s. if anybody wants actual flight lessons let me know ;)

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Heh, cool. Yeah, sadly, scenery is important to me. But, I will admit I was impressed with the fact that my old 2007 Macbook could even run X-Plane 9, well at least the demo (to me that said they did a better job of optimizing than Flight Sim which requires ridiculous amount of graphics power to run. I'm sure my old macbook, even if they made a mac version, couldn't even run Flight Sim. Not sure about current one - 2010 MBP 13"). Granted I had to put the graphics on really low but I still didn't even have a chance to see how pitiful it looked on that low setting cause as I said, I couldn't figure out controls (or rather the very basic control of the throttle :(. Couldn't figure out what key controlled it).

Oh, and my roommate keeps bugging me about flight lessons but I'd first have to get a far better job (no way could I afford it on my pay now). But, I get away with being able to fly with him (he has a Grumman Tiger *grin*) and he explains stuff to me so I have some understanding of it all (and I had very basic understanding of it from playing MS Flight Sim even as a kid on my first mac which was the actual first mac, the 128k).