X-plane for G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Mar 26, 2014.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

Does anyone know of a stable version of X-plane that works with G4s? I tried the demo of X-plane 8 and it was extremely resource intensive and so laggy it was impossible to use. I'm not looking for the full version, just a demo, if possible. And something that can be used for what it's meant for, without so much lag. :)

2. MrPilot macrumors 6502

I run x-plane 9 on my G4.... mmm did you turn off volumetric fog and other shader intense stuff? Also did you reduce the amount of cloud puffs to a factor of .10 and increased each puff's size?

There is a whole lot you can do with the rendering settings there.

3. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

I did nearly everything I could...although I couldn't tell you everything I disabled, I can tell you it was still overly laggy, enough so that it was virtually unusable.

4. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just looking at MrPilot's signature and jrsx's signature I think I see the problem. MrPilot has a PowerBook G4 which came with a minimum of 32 if it is a TiBook or 64 if Aluminum. Also that is for his 1 GHz machine! The 1.67 has a 128 MB video card.

The iBook G4, jrsx has only 32 MB of VRAM out of memory. I think that is the problem...

6. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Nope: FlightGear was better and didn't really skip that much, but the general game was terrible - no keyboard controls, no user accessible prefs...

Does anyone know of a simulator that works well on PowerPC that I could give a shot at?

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not sure of one but I would be happy to try X-Plane on my G4 PowerBook if you would like. It is the second to last 1.67 GHz model if it helps any!

8. ---eMac--- macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I use X-Plane 7 with scenery pack and works perfect in my eMac 1.42

regards

9. MrPilot macrumors 6502

On the last G4 15", x-plane 9 runs rather well. Altemose did notice the VRAM amount between our videocards. I think the original question should specify the model of the PBG4.

Try x-plane 8 or 7 with all textures settings set to lowest since you've only got 32MB VRAM and work your way up. In fact, start from all settings set for performance aand take it from there. Also use a lower resolution since that is a major hog on your gfx card

10. ---eMac--- macrumors newbie

Sorry for reviving this old thread but only need add that recently, I upgraded to X-Plane 9 with the eMac of the sign and worh very well.

I just wanted to add that the X-plane 9 game is still quite present and has many improvements, especially comparing it to X-plane 7.

... And you can still buy new directly from the official website.

Regards