Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Does any kind soul out there have an iPad 2 and also plays X-Plane? Can you tell me if there is a huge improvement in terms of graphics and game play? Hope Laminar will update their app soon,perhaps optimised for iPad 2...as it has been a while!

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Had the app for a long time. It's the most realistic in the store. It looks good on the iPad 2. They Just updated it too. I was playing with it last night and It's got a whole lot of Planes to choose from.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
It's a true Flight Simulator app. They have built it really well and professionally . It is not a game, it is a simulator. You will not be shooting anything down in this app.

plesset

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2004
Not a massive improvement with the 2 but it does load faster. I assume that they will release an update that can take advantage of the newer processors.

Stirolak123

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
It's a true Flight Simulator app. They have built it really well and professionally . It is not a game, it is a simulator. You will not be shooting anything down in this app.

Blasphemy. The ipad dosnt havee hardcore games or sims or real apps. It is a toy for hipsters and retireees remember? Nintendo wii is more hardcore and pilot wings because it has buttons. And as the team meatboy claim, not only is the wii more hardcore but the app store is a tiger handheld:http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/super-meat-boy-dude-app-store-is-tiger-handheld-of-generation/

Because their game is so hardcore and deep the ipad couldnt handle it.

Lol even on touchgen today someone amde such a comment:
http://www.touchgen.net/ipad-2-games-look-great-on-your-hdtv

"Metonymy on Mon, 14th Mar 2011 2:16 am*
Like consoles, it doesn’t have a real control method.
Casual only."

See everything must be utomatically casual if its not on a pc but ipad or console.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I haven't notce any significant difference with it. It's a little more enjoyable now that the iPad is lighter.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for the replies....i don't see any update, at least not since last year!! I guess I will have to patiently wait for the iPad 2 in England before i can try it out...maybe it will be updated before then. It would be nice to see a new version with smoother looking graphics amongst the updates added...or a version on X-Plane 10 on iPad 2....
I am really into flying and this sim really calms me down after a hard days work,,,esp the gliders...ok,,,thanks....over and out

Defender2010

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Blasphemy. The ipad dosnt havee hardcore games or sims or real apps. It is a toy for hipsters and retireees remember? Nintendo wii is more hardcore and pilot wings because it has buttons. And as the team meatboy claim, not only is the wii more hardcore but the app store is a tiger handheld:http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/super-meat-boy-dude-app-store-is-tiger-handheld-of-generation/

Because their game is so hardcore and deep the ipad couldnt handle it.

Lol even on touchgen today someone amde such a comment:
http://www.touchgen.net/ipad-2-games-look-great-on-your-hdtv

"Metonymy on Mon, 14th Mar 2011 2:16 am*
Like consoles, it doesn’t have a real control method.
Casual only."

See everything must be utomatically casual if its not on a pc but ipad or console.

Nobody is comparing the iPad to the Wii......plus, Pilotwings cannot be compared to X-Plane apart from the fact they both involve flying. Totally different purpose and experience when playing them...

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011

Really? I think you can shoot stuff with the F15 when you select pursuit in the menu. Had a quick go at it. Even though I prefer to fly the Cessner myself. Nice and calm.

Get machine guns and missiles.

mikced76

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
X-plane

I love the ipad version of X-plane, but why does the Cessna keep moving slowly to the left with idle throttle and even with the break set. Any clues?

Mike

mikced76

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2009
X-plane

I love the ipad version of X-plane, but why does the Cessna keep moving slowly to the left with idle throttle and even with the break set. Any clues?

Mike

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
Double post ^

Same here. It just creeps to the left. What I usually do is let go off break and use tiny bit of throttle to straighten it before taking off.

MustangFan

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Great fun flying Mustang in X-plane 9

Thanks for the replies....i don't see any update, at least not since last year!! I guess I will have to patiently wait for the iPad 2 in England before i can try it out...maybe it will be updated before then. It would be nice to see a new version with smoother looking graphics amongst the updates added...or a version on X-Plane 10 on iPad 2....
I am really into flying and this sim really calms me down after a hard days work,,,esp the gliders...ok,,,thanks....over and out

I have been trying to fly the Mustang P-51D well in X-plane 9 for nearly a year now. It took me a long time to master the flying (take-offs and landings) and surviving the dogfight with the dreaded Zero. I have made a few articulated mechanical gimbal frames and a joystick platform cradle for the IPad 2 and turned the X-plane 9 App into a high performance flight simulator set-up. Now I can take-off with the Mustang and do a wheeling-in landing with it without crashing and ending up in ground-loops.
If any one is interested, I would be happy to discuss the techniques involve.
Any one?

MustangFan

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Mustang can win the dogfights with the Zero in X-plane 9

Dear kycophpd, I was forced to shoot down the attacking Zeros before I could start practicing flying the Mustang.

I have been trying to fly the Mustang P-51D well in X-plane 9 for nearly a year now. It took me a long time to master the flying (take-offs and landings) and surviving the dogfight with the dreaded Zero. I have made a few articulated mechanical gimbal frames and a joystick platform cradle for the IPad 2 and turned the X-plane 9 App into a high performance flight simulator set-up. Now I can take-off with the Mustang and do a wheeling-in landing with it without crashing and ending up in ground-loops.
If anyone is interested, I would be happy to discuss the techniques involved.
Any one?
Any way, have fun with this great App.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011

Mike

I realize this is a dredged up thread, yet can't keep myself from chiming in. Prop planes tend to pull to one side or another due to prop torque. You need to counter this with your rudder until you have sufficient airspeed.

Regards,
Tom

MustangFan

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
X-plane 9 minor software bugs can be tolerated.

I realize this is a dredged up thread, yet can't keep myself from chiming in. Prop planes tend to pull to one side or another due to prop torque. You need to counter this with your rudder until you have sufficient airspeed.

Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,
Well said! The propeller torquing effect is real for prop planes. The prop cranks thru the air clockwise (seen from the pilot's point-of-view) producing drag reactive torque to the plane in anti-clockwise direction about the flight axis. This applies to Cessna 172 and others in the flight sims. The torquing effect with the Mustang P-51D is very prominent because it's prop has very large diameter. The other thing that comes into it is the pro-wash from the prop blades gets sent downward as the plane moves forward, somehow would curl around the underbelly of the plane to the left, re-emerges on the left side of the fuselage rear-upwards (due to aerodynamic reasons, staying near the skin of the fuselage) and strikes the left face of the tail-fin causing the plane to yaw left at certain airspeed. This can be overcome by right-rudder and aileron control inputs (right yaw and right roll) as you mentioned.
I also think what Mike said was that even when Cessna is sitting on the ground with idling engine the plane drifts to the left (very very slowly). I know this also true for the Mustang too. I think this is due to some non-nullified net force acting on the plane in the physic engine of the flight sim. But the effect of this is very minor and does not affect the flying a bit. The iPad tilt control for the flight sim is very sensitive too. I can very much tolerate these for such a great low cost flight simulator which is fun to fly.

Regards,
David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.