Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
"Being at Apple is almost like what I imagine it would be like to be inside of Boeing during World-War 2: Everything is running at 100% throttle, with knowledge that we are running at 100% of our abilities, and that is enough to guarantee the best product, and guarantee success in the final outcome, but nothing less than a 100% delivery is acceptable."

So what happened with 2.0?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's a shame Apple dropped it from the Keynote, but whatever I guess.
The article is great as far as learning a bit more about what the development process is like. What I completely dislike are the Q&A, namely the A where the developer comes off as a condesending twunt. "Ummm.. Just touch the center of the screen to invoke them! (It's called an iPod TOUCH, right?! ;-) )"

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Only this app, or others too, done at Apple hqtrs? Was this a special deal for a special program?

Drugs? Coffee, the second commodity behind oil! Both are necessary to run the world. I learned this on tv last night on "How do they do that?".

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I would expect that Apple has designated smoking areas.

And the area in the picture is not since it is the front entry to the building.

yeah, you're probably right. its just that the sign says "on apple property"

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Programming a simulator in a week -- utterly wow! :cool:

Well not quite; he has spent many years developing the code; remember; this is X-Plane 9. He's got all the code in an OSX friendly form as he's already done XPlane 9 on the Mac. Please don't get me wrong, it's quite an achievement even after taking all this in consideration, but he did not "program a simulator in a week"

GenNovE

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
Real eyes realize

Is all marketing to detour the negative attention their app store approval process is receiving.

First the "Make money in the app store" 250k story breaks out.
Now, the "Is easy to develop for the iphone" story comes out.

Keep in mind that apple makes money of the app store.
So their seducing you with a numbers story & luring you in with how easy the process is.

There is a general rule of 3 in business/marketing so I am waiting to see
what the next extravagant story will be.

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Not really. If you love like you are doing, you probably love even more to do it well, or even perfectly. Working on a 16 hours a day schedule is like working on cocaine. While you're under, everything you think of is amazingly great and borders on genious. You just have to hope you never sober up, because that's when you realize you have been doing crap for ages...

I for the mostly agree with you. A boss I used to work for would work all night on a project and then I would have to come in and fix all his bugs the next day. Some really genius ideas came out of his overnight sessions though. I think doing the 'work 24 hours' once in awhile is a good thing. When you're tired and just a bit delirious walls tend to come down and let you really get creative (The Beetles achieved a similar effect with LSD lol). Will the implementation be perfect? Probably not, but the idea may be a great one.

GreyHare

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Austin, TX
He seemed a little too much of an Apple fanboy.
He's a total Apple fanboy. (That link is a couple years old.)

Steve Jobs doesn't seem like the type of guy to condone smoking anywhere near him either.
He has enough health problems already.

Is all marketing to detour the negative attention their app store approval process is receiving.
Probably not just that, but I'd agree that that is a factor.

Anything is possible with Apple providing it fits in their plan ... not yours. ;)

QFT. It would be nice if there were something that spells out exactly what they won't approve so you don't have to guess.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Not really. If you love like you are doing, you probably love even more to do it well, or even perfectly. Working on a 16 hours a day schedule is like working on cocaine. While you're under, everything you think of is amazingly great and borders on genious. You just have to hope you never sober up, because that's when you realize you have been doing crap for ages...

I have actually been doing that. Spent a year working more than 100 hours a week, 7 days a week. Then 3 more years at the same rythm, only with week-ends to recover. And since it was all about enthusiasm and doing a dream job, that was with sub-standard wages of course - with the same kind of hours, MacDonald would have paid better.
It did great for my boss: at 35, he was a retired CEO, with little need to ever work again in his life. Of course, *he* wasn't the one working 100 hours a week, I was.

As for myself, I went through severe burn out and was unable to work for a couple of years. When you have gone through the "dream", there is not much else you can find interresting in a regular job. Even worse, when you realise that what you have given part of your life for was actually sub-standard. Working 100 hours a week is like a drug, actually very like cocaine. It colors reality and messes up with your judgement. It makes you sloppy, makes you miss the big picture. You're so pumped up all the time, that you do not see the bugs, the lazy design or the wall you're about to hit.

The sad truth is that I'm more productive at 35 hours a week than I was at 100. My work is more rigorous, more precise, sharper, tighter. And that's working in an office, self-employed, you can get actually tighter than that. Software is not about pissing out thousands of lines of codes an hour 20 hours a day. It's about producing quality code is as little time as possible.

Go read some books on XP and the rest of the Agile Manifesto. These guys figured out the right way to do things.

Agree 100% on that, at 80 to 100hrs a week in a hospital, you stop seeing the big picture and just concentrate on a miriad of tiny little details with no connection whatsoever... And I am talking about health care here... Is very fast paced and ever changing, cant imagine sitting for the same amount of time conding in front of a computer...

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I can't believe some of you are complaining he is an Apple fanboy on this forum of all places.

Just because some people here are fanboys doesn't mean everyone is. I take a realistic, less biased view of Apple, evaluating them for who they are. I know plenty of people here who do the same.

It's possible to like Apple products without worshipping Apple, believe it or not. ;)

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
What I completely dislike are the Q&A, namely the A where the developer comes off as a condesending twunt. "Ummm.. Just touch the center of the screen to invoke them! (It's called an iPod TOUCH, right?! ;-) )"

Yeah these comments were uncalled for from their part, condescending for no reason...real ****s.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
X-Plane is a pretty amazing product in its own right, especially given that it was essentially coded by Austin alone. The guy is quite a talent.

But yeah, he's kind of an arrogant jackass too. And he writes like a 14 year old.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003

I have actually been doing that. Spent a year working more than 100 hours a week, 7 days a week. Then 3 more years at the same rythm, only with week-ends to recover. And since it was all about enthusiasm and doing a dream job, that was with sub-standard wages of course - with the same kind of hours, MacDonald would have paid better.
It did great for my boss: at 35, he was a retired CEO, with little need to ever work again in his life. Of course, *he* wasn't the one working 100 hours a week, I was.

As for myself, I went through severe burn out and was unable to work for a couple of years. When you have gone through the "dream", there is not much else you can find interresting in a regular job. Even worse, when you realise that what you have given part of your life for was actually sub-standard. Working 100 hours a week is like a drug, actually very like cocaine. It colors reality and messes up with your judgement. It makes you sloppy, makes you miss the big picture. You're so pumped up all the time, that you do not see the bugs, the lazy design or the wall you're about to hit.

The sad truth is that I'm more productive at 35 hours a week than I was at 100. My work is more rigorous, more precise, sharper, tighter. And that's working in an office, self-employed, you can get actually tighter than that. Software is not about pissing out thousands of lines of codes an hour 20 hours a day. It's about producing quality code is as little time as possible.

Go read some books on XP and the rest of the Agile Manifesto. These guys figured out the right way to do things.
I'm not big on promoting these things and it is off-topic but sounds like you should read The Seasons of a Man's Life by Daniel J. Levinson. It will explain much of what you are expressing and you will see that you are not alone in feeling the way you do.

So, does anyone want to give a review of this application? How is game play, graphics, etc?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It's possible to like Apple products without worshipping Apple, believe it or not. ;)
Really? I didn't know that was possible. ;) :p :D

X-Plane is a pretty amazing product in its own right, especially given that it was essentially coded by Austin alone. The guy is quite a talent.
Yes he is.

But yeah, he's kind of an arrogant jackass too. And he writes like a 14 year old.
For me, it is easy to overlook in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.