X-Plane with Triple Display

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by southnc, Nov 21, 2010.

1. southnc macrumors member

Hello and happy holidays.

I have a real pilot's license, but just don't have that much time and disposable funds to be flying as much as I should.

I've been really impressed with the X-Plane simulation products and want to invest in setting-up a potent system around it, that would include 3 hi-def displays. I'm a die-hard Mac User and wish to stay with OS-X, if possible.

Obviously, there is a need to be able to swap out the video card as GPUs improve and X-Plane gets more sophisticated. In the Mac line, that leaves the Mac Pro as the only option, imo. Hence, why I'm here.

I'm interested in the recommended specs for a MacPro setup with 3 screens from those on this forum who are experienced X-Plane users. From what I've researched, there appears to be 3 ways to do this:
    1) Powerful GPU, with Matrox TripleHead2Go external unit ( http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/games/supported/x_plane/ )
    2) GPU with bulit-in triple output (not sure if this is avail for MacPro)
    3) Network with other separate (and less powerful) computers handling scenery screens only

I would prefer options 1 or 2.

Thanks in advance!

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

1 will work.

2 will not because there is no eyefinity for osx, the display will not stretch across three screens.

3. southnc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply - any recommendations on what MacPro configuration to purchase (cores, gpu, memory, disk space, etc)? I'm assuming, with X-Plane, the GPU is more important than the # of cores.

4. grue macrumors 65816

Aaaaaaaaaactually, X-Plane can force itself to run on multiple displays by generating a bigger window. I'm not sure how it works on a low level, but essentially it makes a 5760x1200 (or whatever) window. It's a bit flaky sometimes, though.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Triplehead2Go is an external solution that appears as one single widescreen monitor to the computer. This Nvidia solution has nothing to do with AMD's eyefinity.