Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jneubarth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
currently have 13 macbook but getting either 13 mbp or 15 mbp...looking for an X-RAY friendly packback since I travel frequently. Have read about the Brenthaven Pro-Style but am also looking to see what else is out there. Has anyone purchased either the brenthaven or another pack they are pleased with?

many thanks

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Well any backpack not lined with lead is, from a physics standpoint, "X-ray friendly." I think you mean "security friendly", in that you won't have to take the machine out of the pocket?

I have a bag that is supposedly security friendly, but I've still been asked to take it out of the pocket. I travel a lot, too... it's still 50-50 depending on the screener.

jneubarth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
agreed. i am looking for TSA approved checkpoint friendly bags

thanks for helping me clear that up

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
A friend of mine that travels a lot told me when I started looking for one of the 'tsa friendly' bags that his doesn't seem to 'work' as tsa still wants him to remove it more often than not... It doesn't seem to work as intended...

So, I got a Gregory backpack where the back section is heavily padded and has top access so I can whip it out pretty quickly and stow it just as fast and it holds a heck of a lot of stuff and yet still fits under the seat in front of me.

I don't know if they still sell it so I will be depressed if it ever wears out. So far, after 8+ years and many trips, it's holding up very well. The straps are padded well and the top handle is heavily reinforced.

There are good bags out there. Given the possibility of having a Barney Fife pulling a hard on for your computer, save the money on tsa friendly and just get a bag you can live with, and afford.

Tom Bihn has some nice bags too...

I just checked, and Gregory doesn't make that bag anymore... Dang... Now I hope it lasts a long long time...

jneubarth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
looks nice

still gonna hold out for backpack but will check those out

thanks all so far

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Check out Brenthaven too. Good backpacks...

As far as the tsa friendly backpacks, most of them had a zipper that ran almost all of the way around the bag so that the thing could basically zip in half like a butterfly. The problem with that design would be (for me) that I would end up using that space for magazines and stuff and defeat the purpose. Well, and when the zipper fails, the bag could be history...

I guess I'd have to travel a whole heck of a lot (everyday) to make the price worth it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.