Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ingers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Windows PCs... please excuse my language...

I hope someone can help... I have a X-Serve (OSX.3.7) connected to a RAID connected to a Gigabit Ethernet network that serves both Mac (OSX.3.X) and Windows (WinXP Pro) clients. They all have Gigabit NICs all connected through a Netgear Gigabit switch.

• Mac to RAID is blistering... well 1Gb a minute
  • RAID to Macs the same
  • PC to PC is fine
  • RAID to PC is fine
BUT PC to RAID slowes right down... half a Gig in 23 minutes!

There is AppleTalk running on the network, could it be this?

Other than that i am stumped... Is there some setting on the X-Serve that i have missed?

has anyone any ideas?

Cheers,

Jon

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
ingers said:
Windows PCs... please excuse my language...

I hope someone can help... I have a X-Serve (OSX.3.7) connected to a RAID connected to a Gigabit Ethernet network that serves both Mac (OSX.3.X) and Windows (WinXP Pro) clients. They all have Gigabit NICs all connected through a Netgear Gigabit switch.

• Mac to RAID is blistering... well 1Gb a minute
  • RAID to Macs the same
  • PC to PC is fine
  • RAID to PC is fine
BUT PC to RAID slowes right down... half a Gig in 23 minutes!

There is AppleTalk running on the network, could it be this?

Other than that i am stumped... Is there some setting on the X-Serve that i have missed?

has anyone any ideas?

Cheers,

Jon
How do you have the PC connecting. I'm guessing just Windows File sharing (Samba). AppleTalk could be helping the macs out, but I think its just the PCs just don't like Samba shares that much, and create overhead for themselves. There isn't much you can do unless you call up MS and tell them to interoperate a little better, but I don't see that happening.

ingers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
varmit said:
How do you have the PC connecting. I'm guessing just Windows File sharing (Samba). AppleTalk could be helping the macs out, but I think its just the PCs just don't like Samba shares that much, and create overhead for themselves. There isn't much you can do unless you call up MS and tell them to interoperate a little better, but I don't see that happening.

Yea Varmit... the volumes are mounted as SMB - i guess a vital piece of info i left out... well deduced :)

In the remote possibility that Microsoft can't help...

Am i right in thinking that AppleTalk is a broadcast protocol? if so do you think it could be having a negative effect on the TCP/IP traffic?

Thanks for your help...

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Yes, there is plenty you can do, and from the sound of a very impressive hardware setup, you should be able to fix this without any outside pay support (aka MS or Apple). First, appletalk is notorious in my experience for killing network support.

Second, try transferring data from the two machines over a different protocol than SMB, perhaps FTP. Setup a simple FTP server, throw a gig or 10 gig file on there (a couple different sized ones) and experiment. FTP is stable as a rock, unlike SMB and should give you a very good starting point if disabling appletalk doesn't help.

Appletalk doesn't really have any good use anyways. Macs use TCP/IP now a days.

Hope this helps, come back with your results.

BEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.