X stainless band question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsturbo, Sep 18, 2017.

1. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

Will the space gray color have the polished stainless steel band just like the silver iPhone X or will it be black stainless like what the Apple Watch is in black?

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Looks silver to me. From the Apple site:

iphone-x-gallery1-2017.jpg

3. matty.p, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

matty.p macrumors 6502

They’re both stainless steel but the space gray is darker than the silver.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The space gray stainless steel link band is almost black, it's not really gray. It has more of a reflective Shine finish on the band itself for the bracelet.

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Are we referring to the Watch or the iPhone? I'm confuzzled here.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The OP is referring to the iPhone. But the space black stainless link bracelet is the same color as the space black Apple Watch. I was just using that as a comparison for the colors, but my post can be kind of confusing if somebody hasn't seen the space black link bracelet or space black Apple Watch.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Also, the photo of the space gray iPhone X doesn't show the band all that clearly because of reflections and light angles. Or something. I need to go to bed.

8. NBAasDOGG, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

The Space Black Apple Watch is DLC coated (diamond like coating) and is therefore the the most scratch resistance finish Apple has ever made. At the other hand, the silver stainless steal will scratch like hell, but that's easy to repair with a CapeCod polishing cloth like with the stainless steal Apple watches.

Here is the bad news: The Space Grey iPhone X is PVD coated (physical vapor deposition) for the grey color and high shine, but scratches freaking easily and guess what... you can't polish it like the silver model! A single scratch will screw up the phone permanently.

For this reason everyone should pre-order the Silver iPhone X if you want to use it caseless!

9. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

That is the Silver model, OP is asking about the Space Grey model.

10. tsturbo thread starter macrumors regular

tsturbo

Wow, confusing and disappointed. I want the space gray phone, but I want the stainless steel band of the silver phone. Has anyone seen the space gray phone in person and can you absolutely say for sure that the band around the phone is black stainless steel?

11. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

That is an interesting point. If the silver will look the best in the long run, probably the better choice. It's nice to know scratches can be fixed with some polish. with the silver you could easily get a front and back screen protector and go caseless. polish sides when needed

12. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Just look at the iPhone X page on apple.com and you can clearly see the space grey model doesn't have the same stainless steel band around it as the silver model. It doesn't look black but it's definitely not plain stainless steel.