iPhone XR X to XR owners - impressions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unprocessed1, Oct 26, 2018.

1. achappy macrumors member

achappy

I keep reading how much better the camera on the Xr/Xs/Max is than the X. In my testing, I think the key thing is the newer phones use HDR pretty much all the time. I turned off the “Auto-HDR” on my X because I wanted more control over when it’s actually used. What I noticed is on scenes where it’s needed, the Xs will use it but the X doesn’t (it seems to only turn on in extreme cases) so you get drastically different photos. If you manually enable HDR on the X, the pictures are extremely close and you also lose some of those “washouts” you see when comparing the two.

I personally didn’t see a significant difference, especially enough to consider upgrade/downgrading from my X.

2. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

To be fair most of consumers have an IQ of a rotten wooden log.

3. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Oddly a lot of reviews of XR don’t even mention how XR is scaled differently more like the max than the x

Gruber is surprisingly one of very few to do it

Most reviews just say it’s physically just a bit bigger / closer to x than max in size

4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I agree. I posted at some length in another thread but the short version is: I am an X owner who went to the store yesterday looking to get an XR. After spending a lot of time with it and the XS Max, I walked out with an XS Max, which doesn't feel much different in the hand than the XR, is still two handed, and yields several improvements over the XR which are meaningful to me.

BTW for those who can't see the difference between photos taken by the 2018 phones over the 2017 phones, I'm not sure what to tell you. The sensor in the 2018 phones is 30% larger. As has been demonstrated in side by side shots at major photography blogs and review sites, the improvement is neither subtle nor small.

5. teeitup macrumors newbie

I went from X to XR primarily for T-Mobile band 71 but couldn’t justify the extra price for the XS. My biggest complaint with the XR is the lower resolution really seems to affect text. My X displays must crisper text.

6. Mackinjosh Suspended

Says the guy with 2 pieces of new Apple tech in their signature. Tastes delicious, eh?

7. Gadge Goblin macrumors regular

I have gone from an X to an XR. Why....

Better battery
    Bigger screen
    Cheaper price
    Choice of colours
    Dual sim
    A12 chip

I don’t use 3D Touch

The oled to lcd to me there isn’t much in it apart from blacks

I don’t consider this a downgrade at all from the x I consider it an upgrade.

I got the product red and I love it !

8. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

Where is your proof for these two?

9. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Ya it’s only maybe 1/2” taller screen. I held my X over top it and was surprised that the screen width seemed nearly identical. The XR screen being significantly larger is an illusion because of its larger bezels.

They should enable screen zoom and scaling on X or Xs though - only advantage that Xr has. Apple cripple higher end Xs to make Xr appear better in this regard when the screen honestly isn’t much bigger.

10. Stuey3D macrumors 6502

Stuey3D

See for me the XS Max is overkill and I can not justify the cost, plus in the area which is the main reason I am upgrading (battery life) the XR is the better phone.

Still going to be getting an XR come trade in time.

11. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Can’t argue with this. We all have our own priorities.

12. Stuey3D macrumors 6502

Stuey3D

Oh I agree which is why there exists 3 phones this year. For my use case the XR fits me well for battery life/size/cost.

Others however want a better screen and a 2x zoom lens and dont mind the high cost of the device, and for those I say fair play to you.

13. appleuserfan macrumors member

I did the upgrade and totally love my iPhone XR: faster, bigger (but not that much) and with an INSANE battery (almost 2X on screen time).
    The display is not that bad and honestly i already forgot the differences.
    Am i satisfied with XR? Hell yes!

14. Stuey3D macrumors 6502

Stuey3D

That’s what I want to hear, and hopefully in January when I can upgrade I’ll be the same.

15. appleuserfan macrumors member

Oh and regarding the camera: is even better than my X.
    I notice differences in terms of quality only for zoomed photos. I can see those differences for example zooming in 3X-4X.
    But even in those cases I don't regret the XR.

I'm an iPhone user since day one with the 3G and I can affirm that this truly is the best iPhone ever.

16. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Keeping your x too or trade up?

Xr just replaced my 7plus

But keeping my jail broken x around and maybe I’ll trade it in end of next summer if I decide to upgrade again

17. appleuserfan macrumors member

I sold it today (day 2 of my XR) just to be sure of my choice

18. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

I apologize. I see the mistake I made. I thought you were saying the things about the XS and XS Max. Yes, the XR is better at those things than the X. Again, I thought you were talking about the XR being better than the XS and XS Max. I saw my mistake when you replied.

19. tt061282 macrumors regular

tt061282

Swear I read this post and thought of myself. I am now on the XS Max. I may stay here for a while...

However just this year alone I have been on countless phones...

iPhone X
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Galaxy S9
    Galaxy S9 Plus
    Pixel 2 XL
    One Plus 6
    iPhone 8
    iPhone X
    iPhone 8 again
    Note 9
    iPhone X AGAIN.
    iPhone 8 Plus again
    iPhone XS inGold
    iPhone X Again before just going to the XS Max and now here I am hoping to stay. However I’m curious on this XR.

20. solo118 macrumors 65816

Got my wife the XR, keeping the X for myself as I have no need for the XS. XR is a great phone, and the screen is much nicer than I thought it would be.

21. kevink2 macrumors 65816

It would be an improvement for T-Mobile. To a lesser extent it may help on ATT with B14.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sometimes I think that maybe I should have waited to see the XR before I made the purchase of my XS Max, because the display is really important to me, even though OLED and LCD have their vast differences, but others are really talking highly of the LCD display on the XR, but my theory is, once you experience OLED, it really is a nice change over LCD. The downside to OLED, is those who suffer from ‘Pulse width modulation’, which seemingly affects quite a few members vision.

23. profets macrumors 601

Agreed on this - always seems like the X or XS gets compared to the XR, but I feel like the XR should be getting compared to the Max given it’s resolution. I liked Gruber’s review for pointing out those details, as well as the additional storage option on the XR.

Gotta say, I’m a bit jealous of my wife’s XR and the increased resolution in a phone that feels like an excellent physical size to hold.

24. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

My case just came so feeling better about holding it

Been as careful as I can be with it for the weekend

Glad I upgraded from 7plus on this. Battery wasn’t so good on it even w a battery replacement. 8plis got better battery. And this better battery than that. Two gens of battery improvement

And still got my
    X too