X tunneling

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msjones, May 4, 2010.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I have a query I cant seem to find any information on. Probably because it isn't at all possible, but still no harm in asking?

The linux users out there know that you are able to ssh in another linux box and use xforwarding to run remote apps and render them on your machine.

Can this be done with OS X? Can I ssh in from my debian box at work and run apps from my mac at home?

I am currently using VNC/ssh/ftp to get what I need done just curious if the way above is at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve-M macrumors regular

Setting up ssh should not be a problem, but I do not believe you will be able to remotely run Mac apps from a linux box.

3. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Yeah i've got ssh running fine. Shame about app forwarding. Nevermind!

4. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

As I understand it, you can run X Windows apps on the Mac and see them remotely. However, many native apps for Mac are not X Windows apps.

If you're already using VNC, why don't you just run VNC server on the Mac? It's a different protocol than X (more efficient?). You probably still need to do tunnelling of some sort, but that is more to get past firewalls. I'd try this first with a direct network connection at home to get it working without any tunnelling.

5. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Already set up for VNC its just so damn slow. I tunnel my unix x-apps form my work box to my home mac, would be nice just to tunnel mac apps without waiting for vnc refresh times!

Ah well.