iPhone X X v xs

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
So, it looks like my best option for both is a high up front cost and lower monthly, to get the best deal.

Narrowed it down to iPhone x 30gb data at £46/month (24 months) v iPhone xs 15gb data at £50/month (24 months).

It is only a small increase for the xs and 15gb is sufficient, but is it worth an extra £96 over the 2 years?!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'd always get the latest release.

It will be supported longer and you'd be supprised in 2 years the difference between the X and Xs.

You just know when they announce iOS 13 and 14, there will be things the original X doesn't get.

Reactions: Mac2019

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
You've got to look at the properties of each phone and decide what's best for you.

People on here will tell you that you can't settle for anything less than the new camera, or IP68, or 5 trillion operation Neural Engine!!!!!1111

I've taken the gamble on the discounted iPhone X that I'll want to replace it before it matters whether I have a X or XS (probably 4 years; maybe 5). I don't play games, I don't do much photography, I don't shower with my phone, AR is still in its infancy, and I'm jumping up from a 6, so it's already going to be a huge leap. I don't think the XS offers much over the X for me and I'd rather save the £100. For some people they'd really want the newest features; good for them. It's all about you.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
You've got to look at the properties of each phone and decide what's best for you.

People on here will tell you that you can't settle for anything less than the new camera, or IP68, or 5 trillion operation Neural Engine!!!!!1111

I've taken the gamble on the discounted iPhone X that I'll want to replace it before it matters whether I have a X or XS (probably 4 years; maybe 5). I don't play games, I don't do much photography, I don't shower with my phone, AR is still in its infancy, and I'm jumping up from a 6, so it's already going to be a huge leap. I don't think the XS offers much over the X for me and I'd rather save the £100. For some people they'd really want the newest features; good for them. It's all about you.
Totally agree, to be honest. I’m going from a 6 which I’ve had for over 3 years so I imagine it’ll be a massive difference to an x or xs. Essentially, I’ll be saving £96 and getting more data which can only be a good thing!

Like you, I don’t game or do lots of photography etc. so do wonder what difference there will be between x and xs.

Think you’ll have it for 4/5 years? Have you got an x now? How did you find the jump from the 6?

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
Think you’ll have it for 4/5 years? Have you got an x now? How did you find the jump from the 6?
I've kept my 6 for almost 4 years (December 2014), so I expect to keep my X for as long. I had my 4S for 3 years before that. My X is coming on Monday; I think it'll be quite a step up!

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I've kept my 6 for almost 4 years (December 2014), so I expect to keep my X for as long. I had my 4S for 3 years before that. My X is coming on Monday; I think it'll be quite a step up!
Sounds good.

What sort of price are you paying? Only relevant to me if you’re in the UK, though!

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
Sounds good.

What sort of price are you paying? Only relevant to me if you’re in the UK, though!
£899 from John Lewis, to own outright. You can get cheaper (£849 from very.co.uk), but JL have their 2 year guarantee, and with them it actually means something, so I value it.

From an objective point of view, it's not the best value. I should pay £100 more to get the XS and get all the incremental upgrades. But I've decided that they don't mean enough to me to warrant it. I was originally thinking about the 8. Then I decided to go up to the X. You can always 'spend a bit more'. The key is deciding where the value sweet-spot is for you. Is the XS better? Definitely. Will I appreciate those differences, coming from a 6? I'm banking on nah.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
£899 from John Lewis, to own outright. You can get cheaper (£849 from very.co.uk), but JL have their 2 year guarantee, and with them it actually means something, so I value it.

From an objective point of view, it's not the best value. I should pay £100 more to get the XS and get all the incremental upgrades. But I've decided that they don't mean enough to me to warrant it.
Cool.

And that is what I’m thinking; if I’m willing to spend what is an utterly absurd amount of money (either 849 or 899) then why not just shell out the extra 100-150 to be a little bit future proof. Apple know this hence the negligible difference in price. I imagine I’ll have the phone 3 years so is £333 per year that much? Extravagant but affordable. Especially as I’m paying on an interest free credit card so £7/week doesn’t sound horrendous. See how easy it is to talk oneself into paying more?!

Reactions: SteveOfTheStow

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
If your willing to go down the used market you can get a significant discount over the new models. I won an iPhone X 256GB Silver in pristine condition with 9 months of Apple warranty remaining on eBay for £770 including shipping.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
If you want it - go for it!

Edit: Damn now I'm wondering if I should return the X and get the XS, haha
Haha. I’m just so money conscious once I resolve to spend such an amount I want to ensure I get the best value. I did the same when I went from an iPad 2 to an air 2; may not have noticed the difference had I gone to an air but i was advised to go for a 2 due to future proofing etc and 3 years on I don’t regret it.

Falhófnir

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
The XS is a monumental upgrade if you care at all about the camera, a 1/2.5” sensor (up from 1/3”) and stereo audio recording (up from mono)

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
If your willing to go down the used market you can get a significant discount over the new models. I won an iPhone X 256GB Silver in pristine condition with 9 months of Apple warranty remaining on eBay for £770 including shipping.
Good work! Tempting but I don’t trust second hand when it comes to phones. I would like more than 64gb but I don’t think I’ll need it so will probably not throw that into the mix!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
But if you upgrade every year, how do you know that's a benefit or feature since you are always being the latest one?
I guess if you are thinking of getting last years phone you probably dont upgrade every year?

I'd always reccomend buying the latest if you can, especially if you are going to keep it for a while.

SteveOfTheStow

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
London, UK
Ok guys I'm returning my X and going to get a XS! FOMO has kicked in :( I'm gonna keep my phone for 4 years so what's an extra £25 a year? I spend more than that a week in Asda!

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I guess if you are thinking of getting last years phone you probably dont upgrade every year?

I'd always reccomend buying the latest if you can, especially if you are going to keep it for a while.
You’re right, I’m not an upgrade every year person.

I’m edging towards the xs but the low data is offputting.. hmm, there’s always something!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm just saying you yourself buy a new phone every year so, the reason you gave doesn't make sense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was only offering advice.

I do get a new phone every year, but I have friends and family who don’t. So I do have an insight into people who keep their phone multiple years.

You’re a staff member here? Not sure why you feel the need to question me offering polite advice to somebody. I’m only trying to help.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
You’re a staff member here? Not sure why you feel the need to question me offering polite advice to somebody. I’m only trying to help.
I'm a member and a moderator. As a member, I have full freedom to post and interact. You posted that you always get the latest version each year because it will be supported longer, but that didn't make sense because you get one every year.

No matter, I'll move on, since it must of struck a chord, and that was not my intent - peace.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So, it looks like my best option for both is a high up front cost and lower monthly, to get the best deal.

Narrowed it down to iPhone x 30gb data at £46/month (24 months) v iPhone xs 15gb data at £50/month (24 months).

It is only a small increase for the xs and 15gb is sufficient, but is it worth an extra £96 over the 2 years?!
Well IMO the camera improvements that are being seen could be worth it I’d say. The XS seems capable of some amazing shots!
Certainly tempting me I have to say!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.