X vs S7 Edge Display Comparison - Brightness Shift and angles

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Shot with 10.5" iPad Pro - 18 month old S7 Edge on left, X on right. Max brightness, True Tone Off. In doors, the X gets brighter, outdoors the S7 Edge has overdrive and is brighter. Color looks better on X. Panel looks pinker and whiter. S7 Edge panel is greener. I don't really much or any color shifting when viewed off angle, both look fine.

Well, the S7 is nearly 2 years old but the OLED is perfectly fine. I keep the display on all the time with GPS for hours, no real issues with burn in (slight line across status bar, but completely impossible to tell in normal use). Samsung definitely employs some sort of pixel or image shifting with the S7 Edge. I would certainly hope the X has no issues with retention.

There has be multiple panel models from Samsung being used on the X if reviewers are complaining about angles and color shifting.

One last note - the worst display I have is actually the iPad Pro 10.5 which has absolutely horrible color shift with any slight off angle view.

IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Reactions: lordhamster

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Looks to me that the S7 is more uniform ON axis, and the iPhone X maintains its whites OFF axis better.

But it's clear the funky screen tint on-axis with the iPhone X, especially around the words "grocery store" - it looks GREEN.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Shot with 10.5" iPad Pro - 18 month old S7 Edge on left, X on right. Max brightness, True Tone Off. In doors, the X gets brighter, outdoors the S7 Edge has overdrive and is brighter. Color looks better on X. Panel looks pinker and whiter. S7 Edge panel is greener. I don't really much or any color shifting when viewed off angle, both look fine.

Well, the S7 is nearly 2 years old but the OLED is perfectly fine. I keep the display on all the time with GPS for hours, no real issues with burn in (slight line across status bar, but completely impossible to tell in normal use). Samsung definitely employs some sort of pixel or image shifting with the S7 Edge. I would certainly hope the X has no issues with retention.

There has be multiple panel models from Samsung being used on the X if reviewers are complaining about angles and color shifting.

One last note - the worst display I have is actually the iPad Pro 10.5 which has absolutely horrible color shift with any slight off angle view.

View attachment 732090View attachment 732091View attachment 732092View attachment 732093View attachment 732094

View attachment 732090
Wow you’re one of the lucky ones you got a white iPhone X screen. My phone has a nasty yellow hue to it. Sucks I get ZERO white colors on my phone.

I went to the apple store to compare half of them looked amazing perfect whites, half of them were yellow tinted.