iPhone XR X / Xs to Xr switchers?

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
any X / Xs to iPhone Xr switchers here?

How was your experience? Regrets or.....And what was/were your reason(s) to switch over to the iPhone Xr?

Last edited:

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I have a Max, but I got my son the Xr for Christmas and it's a great phone. I've said before, if it had the telephoto lens, I'd be using it. Pretty much the same experience as the X / Xs series phones with slightly better battery life than the Max version. If the next version has the telephoto lens I'll upgrade (some would call it a downgrade, not me though) to that.

Reactions: Geert76

oVerboost

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I went from my X to a Pixel 3 which was a great phone except the original had screen issues, then the replacement came with a dodgy power button. At this point I gave up and decided to stick with what I know best, and got myself an XR.

No regrets, it’s a great phone. Nice weight and feel to it, and personally I prefer the sides of this phone to the more premium steel on the X/XS/XS MAX.

The screen is often criticised, in some cases fairly but in most cases not. It’s a very good display, fonts are clear, pictures are detailed, video is smooth and vibrant. It also didn’t make my eyes as tired when reading etc at night.

Face unlock is much better on the XR than my X ever was, it’s much more responsive which makes me think maybe my old X had a slight issue, but it did still work so who knows lol .

Battery life has to also be mentioned, on my X battery health was at 98%, and it used to just see me through the day of a few maps when driving, Spotify or YouTube premium playing in the background or streaming podcasts (I never download these), and streaming YouTube to my chromecast once home in the evening until bedtime around 10pm. On the XR I’m getting that same usage, with about an extra 30% at the end of the day left over.

If you need or want a new iPhone, without spending that extra few hundred than the XR makes a lot of sense. It’s future proof, well built, has a good specification and if you like iOS then it’s the best continued path for many looking to upgrade.

tt061282

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Bought the iPhone Xʀ on launch day. This after I had scoffed up $1500 for a XS Max on its launch day. Even though I had the X at that point and could have and SHOULD HAVE waited until the Xʀ was released... I didn’t.

When the iPhone Xʀ was released I kept telling myself that day not to get it, but couldn’t resist. So I picked up a 256GB Xʀ in black and haven’t looked back since. I still have my X and my Max, but I have yet to go back to either

Reactions: Geert76