X1 Yoga, SB2 and C930

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Given that P1 and X1E most likely share the same fan profile, I guess I am down to these three. Most likely, I will also buy a eGPU or build a workstation as supplement.

c0ppo

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2013
eGPU makes no sense with SB2, since SB2 has really great GPU, and doesn't support TB3.
And I forgot, I have tested SB2 connected to external 4K monitor. Played a few clips in 4K (Vivaldi browser), fans did spin up, but I had to get my ears real close to the SB2 to hear them at all. But keep in mind that this was in office, where it's not dead silence.

But in the last few days, I really have to admit - I never heard the fan spin up once! And I do use my machine and push them. Only time I heard fans was while compiling Unity3D project (1,2GB, 3D game). I did it as a test. But even then fans were really quiet!

This thing is by far the most silent portable computer I have ever owned. More silent then any MBP, and with way better thermals.

EDIT:

Expect my review by the end of the week or so. I will try to write as many observations as I possibly can think of.

Reactions: Queen6

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
This thing is by far the most silent portable computer I have ever owned. More silent then any MBP, and with way better thermals.

EDIT:

Expect my review by the end of the week or so. I will try to write as many observations as I possibly can think of.
Thanks. Is yours the fanless 13" or 15"? From notebookcheckreview, it seems that fan noise comes out when people do GPU intensive stuff.

If I recall correct, X1C6 and X1Y3 were announced in January 2018 so will the next versions be out in less than two months? The SB2 came out over a year ago and SB3 should be out in 2019?

c0ppo

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks. Is yours the fanless 13" or 15"? From notebookcheckreview, it seems that fan noise comes out when people do GPU intensive stuff.
15", fully loaded. It's not mine, using it just to test it out.
And fan will kick in on really demanding tasks, but that is the case with every mobile computer out there. The point is, fan doesn't kick in on tasks where other computers spin up their fans.

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
15", fully loaded. It's not mine, using it just to test it out.
And fan will kick in on really demanding tasks, but that is the case with every mobile computer out there. The point is, fan doesn't kick in on tasks where other computers spin up their fans.
Thanks. Costco out friend only has 13" version.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks. Costco out friend only has 13" version.
If you do decide to buy a SB2 from Costco, call Microsoft and see if you can still get the Microsoft Surface Complete warranty coverage for it, rather than rely on that Costco supplied and Assurion backed one that Costco does. You are able to add Surface Complete up to 45 days after the sale, so unless there is some restriction to adding it to Costco sold computers, it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as rest of the topic in the thread, SB2 you will not be able to use with an eGPU due to it only having USB-C and not Thunderbolt 3, but it also has the best GPU and battery life of the 3 you mentioned. GTX 1050 discrete GPU w/2GB GDDR5 for the 13" and a GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 for the 15"

The 13" still has a fan in the base to keep the GPU cool when in use, but not in PC/Display portion. The 15" has a fan in both. That said the noise from either of these will be quieter than most (all?) eGPU's.

SB has been on an October cycle, so there may not be an updated SB3 until October 2019, but MS could surprise with something in the spring if nothing more than a spec bump and black color. Who knows... but I wouldn't expect anything until October 2019.

Reactions: Queen6