Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
wanted to install x11 on wife's macbook. downloaded update (103 or some such). won't install because cannot find x11. look for x11 and cannot find it in system. researching the matter says to install from the optiional install disc provided. checked into that, but it is a refurb and there is no such disc with x11. cannot find dmg anywhere to get me going.

can anyone tell me how to get x11 on the darn thing? what am i not getting?

thanks

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm pretty sure you got a reinstall disk with your Macbook. On that is X11, in the 'Optional Installs' folder once its in your drive :)

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
wanted to install x11 on wife's macbook. downloaded update (103 or some such). won't install because cannot find x11. look for x11 and cannot find it in system. researching the matter says to install from the optiional install disc provided. checked into that, but it is a refurb and there is no such disc with x11. cannot find dmg anywhere to get me going.

can anyone tell me how to get x11 on the darn thing? what am i not getting?

thanks

You have to install it off the system disks that came with your MacBook first. If you hunt for it there is an x11 .pkg file somewhere on one of the two disks, and you can run the install direct from that file.

Once it is installed, system update will take care of the rest.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
thanks all and i will look again. but i have been through and through both gray discs that came with it, and all i could find was a x11 sdk pkg. nothing else.

i even tried custom install, and x11 was not an option.

in fact, on second thought, it seems to me that there was someting strange about the second disc. it would not even let me see what was on it because i was not installing, or something. it was effectively a blank disc until i made a certain move. i don't remember what.

Retired
May 16, 2006
thanks all and i will look again. but i have been through and through both gray discs that came with it, and all i could find was a x11 sdk pkg. nothing else.

Put the disk in, and search X11 with Spotlight on it :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

Scroll down further to Optional Installs.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Put the disk in, and search X11 with Spotlight on it :)

thanks psychofreak.. could have sworn i had done this already myself.

but this is where i have to embarrassingly admit that i stuck the disc in, searched with spotlight, and there it was. spotlight even took me right into the installation process.

just when you think you know what you're doing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.