X11 has changed under Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deboni, Dec 20, 2007.

1. deboni macrumors member

deboni

I've noticed that X11 behaves differently under Leopard than it did under Tiger.

I still have the same icon in my dock that points to the version 2.0 app in Applications/Utilities. When I click in this, I another X11 icon appears down at the bottom of my dock that points to /usr/X11/X11.

Both of these items are of type "Application (universal)"' they also both claim to be version 2.0, but the original is 124KB in size, and the new one is 924 KB. The original icon does not show a dot next to it to indicate that it's running, but the new one does.

When this all gets started up, I get an xterm on my desktop. If I click on the original X11 icon again, I get another xterm.

I noticed a whole new set of x11 binary apps were installed with Leopard, including such standards that weren't there before, like ico and xcalc, although there are still some missing ones that I'd like.

I selected Keep in dock for the new X11 icon, down at the bottom. Then I quit X11. Then I clicked on the new icon, and ANOTHER one appeared right below it, both with the dots indicating they're running, but no xterm appeared. That didn't happen until I clicked on the original X11 icon.

So, none of this bothers me, but it does surprise and puzzle me. Does anyone out there understand it?

Tom DeBoni
    tomdeboni@mac.com

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

I'm seeing the exact same behavior. I actually erased the copy of X11 in Applications/Utilities, thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't. I get two "copies" of X11 open, one of which just bounces in the dock indefinitely, and the other actually works. If I open a new xterm, I get a third one. The weirdest part is that they all point to the exact same app, /usr/X11/X11.

Besides being annoying, it's also a little disconcerting. Any insights?

3. deboni thread starter macrumors member

deboni

Fixed it!

Ok, after looking around on this and the Apple Support fora, I found a reference to this site:
    http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/X112.1.0.1
    I read it all carefully, and decided to try the upgrade referenced. I downloaded and installed the latest one there, and found that all the odd behaviors I reported (and one I did not notice until I read about it, namely the inability of xterm windows to be moved onto a second monitor) had gone away.

I can now recommend the above as a fix for this whole set of problems, and I consider this matter closed.

Tom DeBoni
    Oakland, CA