Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forbade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
US
I installed enlightenment on my computer,
and now when ever I want to run an x11 application it brings up enlightenment first, and then starts the application in enlightenment.

Is there anyway I can turn off enlightenment, so that it wont start whenever I run an x11 application?

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Ok, now there are two ways(that I know of) in which enlightenment could be executed as your default X11 window manager, so there are two things you are going to have to check first. (This is long so bear with me)

Basically you will be looking for a line of code that looks like the following (your path to enlightenment may differ :D aw I made a funny)
Code:
exec /opt/local/bin/enlightenment

Now this will be located most likely the last line in one of two files..

Step 1) First check out your system wide xinitrc profile by typing this...

Code:
cat /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

If the last line (under # start the window manager Heading) is the above mentioned enlightenment exec line, keep reading this step. If the line instead says 'exec quartz-wm' then go onto step 2.

Now if the last line does state the enlightenment exec line, then replace that line with ...
Code:
exec quartz-wm

Step 2) If the above step wasn't it, then check your user xinit file by typing
Code:
cat ~/.xinitrc

Now again check to see which window manager is executed ( enlightenment or quartz-wm. If the exec enlightenment line is there, replace it with
Code:
exec quartz-wm
or, if that line is the only line in the entire file, feel free to just delete the ~/.xinitrc file alltogether.

Hopefully that will have solved the problem, if not then the WM startup execution string is being stored somewhere else. So check out any other ~/.X* files in your home directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.