Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keyshawn

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Hey,

[I'm a bit of a newbie, so pardon my ignorance :p ]

I'm trying to install the gimp and requires X11. So, I downloaded the X11 app from the apple site, and on the install screen for X11 in the destination folder, a message appears stating that I cannot install X11 on this computer, because there already is a newer version of it on this hard drive. BTW, I'm running tiger 10.4.2. on a spiffy new ibook I just purchased about 10 days ago...

As stated in a couple past posts on the forum, I searched to see if x11 was in the applications/utilities - no x11 listed there. After, I did a search for it, and the only results besides the dmg package that I download of x11 were two files both named "X11SDK.pkg" one located in the /library/recipts folder and the other listed in applications/installers/xcode tools/packages .

Is the sdk package the proper one needed ? if so, how do I modify the gimp to search for that package so it knows X11 is installed ?

thanks.
regards,
keyshawn

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
keyshawn said:
Hey,

[I'm a bit of a newbie, so pardon my ignorance :p ]

I'm trying to install the gimp and requires X11. So, I downloaded the X11 app from the apple site, and on the install screen for X11 in the destination folder, a message appears stating that I cannot install X11 on this computer, because there already is a newer version of it on this hard drive. BTW, I'm running tiger 10.4.2. on a spiffy new ibook I just purchased about 10 days ago...

As stated in a couple past posts on the forum, I searched to see if x11 was in the applications/utilities - no x11 listed there. After, I did a search for it, and the only results besides the dmg package that I download of x11 were two files both named "X11SDK.pkg" one located in the /library/recipts folder and the other listed in applications/installers/xcode tools/packages .

Is the sdk package the proper one needed ? if so, how do I modify the gimp to search for that package so it knows X11 is installed ?

thanks.
regards,
keyshawn
If you have a receipt for X11, then it is on your computer unless you removed it. Mine is in /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/. If you removed X11, then you can reinstall it if you remove the file in the receipts folder.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
The only X11 that will work for Tiger is the one off of the install disc. The one on the Apple site does not work. I think there is a program to extract the package from the disc, but I am not certain...

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
ham_man said:
The only X11 that will work for Tiger is the one off of the install disc. The one on the Apple site does not work. I think there is a program to extract the package from the disc, but I am not certain...

Indeed, this is correct. You don't need any special software to extract it from the disk. Just pop in the Tiger disk and select Optional Installs.mpkg in Finder

SAPurdie

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
X11

If you have a receipt for X11, then it is on your computer unless you removed it. Mine is in /Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/. If you removed X11, then you can reinstall it if you remove the file in the receipts folder.

Hi all,
I am running 10.5.8 and I found an X11 directory, viz.: Xcode/Developer/SDKs/MacOS10.5.sdk/usr/x11

However I don't have an X11 'app' showing in the applications/utilities directory.

When I attempt to install a downloaded X11 from apple it says 'no can do' because later version is installed.

I bought the imac s/h recently so don't know the full history, but I did just install the latest updates from apple website.

This imac came with leopard but only tiger disks, I have leopard disks for my one (this one is for the kids)

Any ideas please?

(the original root of my concern is I set GIMP to point at Xcode instead of X11 by mistake and now cannot get it to look anywhere else - I guess there must be a library file which remains after I delete the app?)

Thanks
Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.