X11 issues with Leopard; Gimp crashes due to dyld error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yeroen, Oct 28, 2007.

1. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Anyone else having trouble with their X11 installation after upgrading to Leopard?

Every time I launch Gimp, it crashes due to the following dynamic loading error:

Dyld Error Message:
    Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.2.dylib
    Reason: Incompatible library version: libXft.2.dylib requires version 3.0.0 or later, but libfontconfig.1.dylib provides version 2.0.0

But here's the output of otool -L /usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib:

/usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.dylib:
    /usr/X11/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.0.0)

Anyone else have this problem? What gives?

2. yeroen thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeroen

3. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Pretty much, yes, although a lot of the issues are due to the way they changed how X11 works on Leopard.

However, the main issue is that X11 and Spaces combo is basically unusable, a bit of an issue because most people who use X11 a lot are used to multiple desktops, so Spaces is a must have feature for them.

4. yeroen thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeroen

sorted it out, for now

Installing the latest Intel binary of Gimp for Mac OS X, v2.4 rc3 from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
    fixed the problem.

I'm wondering if the error reporting is incorrect and that the version of libfontconfig delivered in the older Gimp.app bundle (Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib) bundle was being loaded instead of the one in /usr/X11. The version of libfontconfig delivered with the older Gimp.app bundle was 2.0.0.

5. mealybar macrumors newbie

Gimp on a G4 Leopard

Hi,

Does this mean (intel version) that I won't have an installation of GIMP that will run on my G4 iMac running Leopard?

Are there any alternatives?

Richard

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

As a GIMP user, this is a good thing to know. Thnaks for the head's up and the subsequent links to the Apple discussions. Another reason for me to hold off upgrading to Leopard just for now... :eek: ;)

7. shanecoder macrumors newbie

Gimp 2.6.7 and Quartz 2.4.0 work great on OS/X 10.5.8

I was having several problems with Gimp crashing. I upgraded to the three versions listed above. Everything is working good now.