X11 problem in OS X leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darwinelf, May 24, 2008.

1. darwinelf macrumors newbie

Hi, i recently just installed the new xquartz binaries, and everything was running well for awhile, I could change the window manager and customize the colors of the window manager, etc, until one day I decided to execute "/usr/X11/bin/startx --fullscreen", it popped up a message saying:

I chose yes, and ever since that day, I have not been able to start an X11 program with a window manager, it just comes up with no titlebars, no window borders, and it's all stuck at the top of the screen with no way of moving it. So for instance if I start "emelfm", it will work and I can use it no problem, but it's stuck at the top left corner of the screen. There is no window manager being used for any X11 apps now...

I've deleted the ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xinitrc.old, then made a new one from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and copied it to the home directory, tried to make it call twm and every time I start an X app it STILL starts without a window manager.

I have no idea how to fix this... I'm not experienced with X11, and I don't know how to get it to use the .xinitrc file again. Could someone please shed some light on this?

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

3. darwinelf thread starter macrumors newbie

You must be god. Because no else actually knows that the only reason to ever use a mac is to restore it from time machine in case anything ever goes wrong, not actually understand what's going on behind it all. Learning the ins and out of a computer instead of being a retarded monkey and use your computer for pr0n is for God, and you sir are God.

I salute you.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try deleting your plist files:

~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.x11.plist
    ~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Xcode.plist

Also delete all versions of your ~/.xintrc files.

The try it again.

5. darwinelf thread starter macrumors newbie

No, this didn't work.

I can start fluxbox manually, or TWM, or what have you, and then start another app through another terminal and have the window manager working that way, but it won't automatically start the window manager like it used to before I got the alert message.

6. Nate3000 macrumors newbie

7. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Reverting to a previous TM save would give you a chance to try to reinstall the XQuartz binaries you installed and see if there was simply a mishap in the install process. Not to mention, it isn't entirely unheard of for software updates to break things.

And being a dick to someone who offers a suggestion in a thread where you're asking for help is not behavior that will inspire many people to help you. If you don't like what someone has to say, you can ignore it, or simply say "thanks, but this doesn't quite solve my problem."