X11? Stuffit Expander?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Powerbook G4, May 27, 2007.

1. Powerbook G4 macrumors newbie

Powerbook G4

How come X11 doesnt work for me?

Ad how come when I try to download something, i get an error message from stuffit expander saying to install the original installer? i click stuffit and it tells me to get stuffit while its im trying to get on ...

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have X11 installed? (You have to install it from the discs that came with your computer.)

Does stuffit do that with every file, or just one file in particular. Have you tried downloading and re-installing stuffit expander?

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Did you ever install it from your OS X disc? It's an optional component.

Because Stuffit is evil. You can try reinstalling Stuffit (or Expander) like it asks, or try The Unarchiver as an alternative if it keeps messing with you.

4. Powerbook G4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Powerbook G4

Thanks guys.

you mean taht Tiger disk thing?

and stuffit does that with everythind i download unless i enable it. but now it doesnt work at all

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The System Disk that came with your computer (not a retail OS upgrade).

Try reinstalling it.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, that's the one. and yes, X11 is on the retail copies of Tiger too.

Put the disc in the drive (no need to boot from it), and run the box icon called Optional installs (you may need to scroll down to see it). After you pick the drive to install on, you will see a "Custom install on …" screen. Click the reveal arrow where it says "Applications: and check the box next to X11.

Yes, because it's evil. Again, try to reinstall, or try the substitute linked earlier.