X11 Windows...

brdoco

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
When I fire up X11, 4 windows automatically open up: 2 xterms, 1 clock, and 1 Login window. Is there anything I can do have it not start up with all those apps running?

Also, the Login window is larger than my desktop.. Any x11/unix tricks to resize it so that i can close it?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Only one XTerm opens for me, I cannot see how in the preferences to automatically open more windows when it starts.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
There's a conf or ini somewhere a hidden folder(.x**** in the home folder, don't have my Macbook ATM). I had to add a # in front of a line to make xterm stop loading.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
7on said:
There's a conf or ini somewhere a hidden folder(.x**** in the home folder, don't have my Macbook ATM)./QUOTE]

is it .Xauthority ??? My file is empty. See [guide]Viewing hidden files on a Mac[/guide] for more info on how to see hidden files.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
brdoco said:
got it. thanks...

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
Ah, it's generally not recommended to edit that file since that applies to all users. Create your own .xinitrc in your home directory that'll take precedence ... although, it beats me why /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc would have the commands to open two xterms and a clock, unless it had been edited already.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
plinden said:
although, it beats me why /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc would have the commands to open two xterms and a clock, unless it had been edited already.
He might have had a X11 install along the lines of XDarwin, which I believe started with xeyes and crap like that.