Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IntellEJent

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Sorry for being so ignorant on the Mac, but having just got a mac, I have so many questions about it. How do you install X11 on a mac? Does it require the install CD to install, or should I just get it online? Will I have to reinstall Tiger? I really would like X11, as I use many X programs on both windows and Linux, such as GIMP and OpenOffice. Thanks! :D
IntellEJent

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Install it from your install disc...you won't have to reinstall Tiger.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Then run Software update, as there was recently an update to it:

X11 2006 Update (v 1.1.2)

This update addresses several issues in the X11 for Mac OS X package, enabling it to better handle:

GLX stereo visuals
offscreen rendering to GLX Pbuffers and Pixmaps
To tell X11 to take advantage of stereo visuals, enter:

$ defaults write com.apple.x11 enable_stereo -bool true

IntellEJent

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Sorry for being such a n00b, but where on the install disc is the installer of X? I see Xcode in there, and "Bundled Tools" in there. Which one of these places would X be located? Thanks!
Intell

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm going from memory here, but there should be a package called "Optional Installs." If you start running that, then click the "Custom" button when you get that far, you should see an option for "Applications" that you can expand to see X11.

YoNeX

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Sorry for being such a n00b, but where on the install disc is the installer of X? I see Xcode in there, and "Bundled Tools" in there. Which one of these places would X be located? Thanks!
Intell

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the Disc, you should see it there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.