X1900 fan upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lord Zedd, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Is it possible to upgrade the G5 X1900 video card (top) using the heatsink(s) and fan from the MacPro version (bottom)? I love my X1900 but having the fan blow the hot air against the natural airflow seems counter-productive to me. The MacPro version has a larger fan which will be quieter and move more air and exhausts out the back where the air has to flow anyways.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its either that or an Accelero X2, which isn't that much better since it exhausts onto the logic board.
    I think can live with the loss of one expansion slot.

2. Lord Zedd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

3. ReallyRedCobra macrumors member

4. Lord Zedd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Those are some very poor reviews of it on that site. I think I'll skip that one.

5. ReallyRedCobra macrumors member

Really?

Excellent 154 reviews

Good Rating 45 reviews

Average 4 reviews

Poor 8 reviews

Very poor 3 reviews

So out of 214 reviews, 3 are very poor and 154 are excellent. Well ok, whatever floats your boat.

6. matt321 macrumors member

Never read the newegg reviews... unless they are all negative, they are useless.

Here are some professional reviews of that cooler:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1OSw2LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/vga-coolers2_10.html#sect0

I have a few friends with this cooler, with the turbo fan add-on, and they love it.

To answer your question, as long as the cards are *identical* the cooler will work. However, if the memory is in a different spot then you will have to do some modding in order to make it a dual slot card.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i was thinking of picking one of those up for mine, however do i need to add a fan to it or will it work exceptional without one?

(speaking of adding a fan where would one connect to anyway? route it to the molex next to the superdrive?)

an di have never had issues with articcooling, especially using them on customPC builds

8. matt321 macrumors member

9. Lord Zedd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Anyone know for sure if the MacPro cooler will swap onto the G5 cooler?

10. Lord Zedd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

I decided to go with the TMG AT1. So far it works great. Its no louder than the stock fan at idle, it keeps it cool, it exhausts out the back where the PM air naturally flows and it doesn't sound like a die grinder at full load. :)

The only down side is it occupies 2 slots. When combined with the 7800 GTX 512 below it means all 4 of my slots are occupied.

Attached Files:

11. MIKX macrumors regular

MIKX

I go along with Lord Zedd - G5's will lose a PCI slot but in a Mac Pro that is allowed for.
    I Installed the ThermalTake AT1 on my X1900XT and saw immediate results from the thermal probes I stuck around it. It is as quiet (or even quieter) as the ATI stock fan.

For my Mac Pro I bought the special cable that runs to the spare power socket under the front fans - added an adaptor cable with a "Y" split - one end is a standard molex to the TMG AT1 and was able to also install a small fan over the Northbridge . . getting off the subject . .

Yes, the only choice for a Mac Pro with an X1900XT is the ThermalTake AT1.
    The passive, fanless coolers just add more heat to the inside of the case.