X1900XT Preventative Maintenance

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fandsw, Jan 18, 2008.

1. fandsw macrumors regular

Well since it still appears that :apple: gave us the shaft concerning the 8800GT I'm starting to think about doing some preventative maintenance on my X1900XT since it looks like I'll be keeping it for the life of the MP. Mine seems to be working fine, however it does not take long to clog up the fins. From my past PC experience I know that once you start overheating GPUs and CPUs they start getting flakier, so I'm heavily leaning on the idea of replacing the VGA cooler before things go south. I've replaced VGA coolers before, so that's not an issue, however I have over 18 months of Applecare left. Part of the idea of buying a MP was that it can last 5-6 years and still be productive, so I'd like to keep that notion going.

How has the reliability of the X1900XT been for those of you who have replaced the VGA cooler? Any first-hand reports would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Kuraudo macrumors member

Not good. I installed carefully the highly recommended Accelero fan on it, but still, my x1900 XT is going to die. Since yesterday, I'm seeing lines across my screen of the red/green/blue color. If I play a game it will become tiled blocks.
    I've owned this card since March.
    Sending it to warranty on Saturday =/

3. elcid macrumors 6502

If you have AppleCare I wouldnt touch it cept to blow out the fins. That is what it is there for.