x1900xt Silent Cooling Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by product26, Jun 25, 2007.

1. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I put the Accelero S1 on my x1900xt.
    It is by far the best option because it has no fan and is completely silent. HOWEVER! If you are going to do any gaming, you must bump up the fan speed of your PCIe/HDD fan using smcFanControl

The great thing is that if I am going to boot in to Windoze to play a game, all I need to do is choose a setting I named 'Gaming' in the smcFanControl menu and reboot in to windows. It retains the settings until you power off the computer. So as long as you reboot in to windows... the fan speed sticks.

Even after having bumped the PCIe/HDD fan speed up, it is still quieter than the stock ATI cooler ever was.

If I decide that I don't like having to use software to control the fans, I will purchase a quiet fan from silenx

The S1 came with a vented PCI slot cover. Because the x1900xt already had one, I placed the extra one in the slot above to give plenty of ventilation for the hot air to escape

If you google "Accelero S1" you will find some good reviews. One thing worth mentioning is that the vram heatsinks do not stick very well. I was able to get them to stick long enough to install the main heatsink. I am hoping that the heat will bond them... I will check them later to see if they are stock on there after being heated and cooled a few times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That's a pretty good cooling option for that old card. Hell, looks nice, too.

3. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

Yeah I am pretty pleased with how it looks. When i got it, there were stupid looking "Accelero S1" stickers on the black parts that would have been upside down in a mac pro. But the stickers were hardly stuck at all so I just took them off.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

mate thats crazy thanks for the thread. what temps do u get while heavy gaming??

5. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

With the PCIe fan at 1000rpm I ran the ATITool 3d window for about half an hour and it got up to 75c

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow thats not bad. if the fans were kicked up to like 2000 that would be quite cool for a graphics card, thanks for posting wen i eventually get a mp i might add one of these!

7. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

75C is very hot for a Graphic Card. The max I saw mine have reach is 60 - 65 when I heavy game for 4 - 5 hours, this is with overclocking. This look like a kick ass cooler, but I still think Fan is better then no fan at all.

This is what I use, it's very quiet and cool.

[​IMG]

8. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

My temps were from using ATITool... I tested it with a couple of games and it only got up to about 65

9. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I have been down this road with a x1600 pro card in my pc. Nothing I did would stop it from overheating. Tried all the silent cooling products but the card still overheated. Sucks. Bottom line is you need some kind of a fan. I wish they made a fan like the one on the 8800GTX. I hear that is a very quiet fan system on those cards. I gave up and put the original fan solution back on the x1600 pro. Loud as crap.

Same note, my x800 card in my G5 was just as loud. I think it was the exact same fan and heatsink as my x1600. The video card can be the loudest think in the mac pros as they are so quiet. That is why I stick with the 7300GT. No fan. Now the loudest thing is the hard drive. Can't wait until flash hard drives are the norm.

10. toru173 macrumors regular

This is hilarious! I'm currently running a 7950GT KO superclocked from EVGA.

79 degrees idle. Celcius. Rock solid, and has been up to 96 with no issues.

The reason it's so hot is an extremely enclosed case with fans turned down low for noise reasons. I know these temps are bad but I can't help laughing when people worry that they are seeing temps as high as 65 and are worrying themselves ^_^

11. Matzehali macrumors newbie

room and screws ...

Hi there,

looks good, I was looking for someone who installed this already. Where there any problems with to long screws? Does it take more slots than the original cooler?

THX,

Matzehali

12. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

no problem with the screws at all, and no it does not take up any more slots than the original cooler.

I did however have trouble getting the ram sinks to stick

13. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

I bought the S1 for the x1900 in my powermac G5 - but it didn't fit because of the plastic/see through panel that goes over the g5 machines :rolleyes::rolleyes::(

i guess i have to send it back...

not sure which cooler to get now...

14. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

The thermaltake AT 1 is really good.

Too bad it's $40 ($70 MSRP).

15. psalesses macrumors newbie

I just removed the fan off my x1900 and it's a joy to listen to now. Dead silent.

Here are some photos of how easy it was. Take off memory heat syncs, take off electric heat syncs, and then the fan off the chip. Wipe it with a tissue. Then take an eraser and rub until all residue is gone. Then just stick and peel the heat syncs where they fit.

The only trick was getting the clips to fit on the board. I had to take off the long metal piece that ran the length of the board so the clips could fit around it.

Anyway hope this helps someone out there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. product26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

product26

thought i would post an update on this....

i have had ZERO problems to date. I have only dusted off the heatsink once since the original post...

good times.

ANOTHER UPDATE

I transferred this cooler to my 8800gt. works great!

17. TrapOx macrumors 6502

FYI, that cooler will not fit in the G5. The AT1 takes up a little more than 2 slots as well.