X1900XT... Ver. 2?!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by miniConvert, Jun 12, 2007.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Item description
    Card, Video, ATI Radeon X1900 XT, 512 MB, Ver. 2

I had a replacement graphics card on the way for one of my mac pro's, but Apple ordered the wrong one. When not even the wrong one showed up today, I called up to sort things out.

I hung up on the first CSR after 10 minutes of getting nowhere. He didn't actually understand what a DIY Repair was, or what to do with the replacement part dispatch number. I don't blame Apple for that, sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Anyway, second CSR, a squillion percent improvement. Incorrect replacement part (nVidia 7300 GT) cancelled. Then the confusion started:

Apple has two versions of the ATI Radeon X1900XT on their system - Ver. 1 and Ver. 2. The specifications are identical. I only ordered a replacement card for another system a few months ago and there was no mention of two card versions then.

So, what's the difference? And, assuming V2 is an improvement, why are Apple still shipping V1? FWIW I've asked for V2, as when nobody could figure out what the difference was after over 30 minutes I decided to take my chances.

2. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I posted this in an earlier thread:

According to one of the posters on the WoW forum the early cards that came with Mac Pros were manufactured by NTK Part# 102A5202950 000004, and the new cards that Apple is shipping now as replacements are manufactured by FOXCOMM Part# 102A5202752 000006.

He also reported that his new card was working great with no assistance of smcfancontrol.

I checked my card -- purchased at an AppleStore 2 weeks ago as an Upgrade - and it has the latest FOXCOMM Part number. If not a rev.2 it is definitely a new batch by a different manufacturer.

Now I can update that 3 days ago I purchased a new Mac Pro with date of manufacture May 2007 and it also has the FOXCOMM Part# 102A5202752 000006 card in it.

Would this be what they call ver.2?

Regards.

3. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I remember reading your post.

I hoped that this perhaps is the Ver. 2, hence why I opted for it, but if so I don't understand why Apple even have both versions on their system with no description as to how they are different. The CSR was in a right muddle!

I'll be sure to update this thread with the part number when the card arrives.

4. tribe3 macrumors 6502

part# is on a green label in the rear of the card, and you can only read Foxcomm from the inside of the card over the DVI connectors. Other than that the card is exactly the same.

keep us updated.

5. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Is there a way to determine which one I have via system profiler?

ATI Radeon X1900 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x7249
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-A52027-140
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.140
    Displays:
    PIX-Link:
    Resolution: 1600 x 1024
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Supported
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported
    Display:

6. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Still waiting for the ATI card, but the nVidia has showed up so that'll do for now.

FWIW, the old, defective, pile of c**p ATI card was indeed the NTK part. I'll update when I receive the 'V2'.