X1900XT video card power cable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by genjy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. genjy macrumors newbie

Hi... long time lurker, first time poster (thanks for all the help)

I got my hands on an used ATI X1900XT, but it didn't come with a PCI-e power cable.

Plugged the card into an old 3.0ghz Mac Pro with Cinema HD display, and the display lit up and was able to boot into OSX.

Everything seemed fine except for the available resolutions--the highest being 1280x800.

Questions:

Is the lack of the power cable the reason why the highest resolution is so low? I've tried both DVI ports... same result.

There's also a red LED lit on the X1900XT card. Is it lit up because of the missing power cable... or is it some other error?

Thanks in advance for any input and help. :)

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Both the low resolution and the red light are definitely due to the missing power cable.

Sorry, but I'm definitely not going to double check that on my Mac Pro and X1900XT. ;)
    I don't think there's anything going to be damaged but you seriously should invest some money into the power cable.

3. genjy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Just ordered a power cable. Let's see how it goes.

4. Dai Bando macrumors member

Dai Bando

I ordered 2 from ATI on tues with overnite delivery, and no cables yet. Customer service is absolutely pathetic. Claims they shipped but "call us when you don't receive them". Huh? Not based stateside-and not a clue. No emails, no tracking #,–zip.