x2 Drobo's and Time Machine question :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by musio, Mar 2, 2009.

1. musio macrumors 68020

musio

Right, i'll most likely be picking up a new iMac. I have a drobo already. What i want to do is have my imac + Drobo 1(with my data) backup onto a drobo 2 (partitioned respectively for imac and drobo 1 with data)

Is this possible to set up with time machine?

The idea is that i have all my data backed up onto drobo 2.

Any time machine experts or solutions ready to be listened to! :)

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes you can back up an external drive onto another if that's what you're asking.

3. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

Sorry, no that's not what i'm asking.

What i want to do is have my imac + Drobo 1(with my data) backup onto a drobo 2 (partitioned respectively for imac and drobo 1 with data)

I'm asking if time machine can backup the imac onto a drobo on 1 partition and ALSO backup drobo 1 to drobo 2?

i've drawn a picture if that helps? :)

Attached Files:

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not using Time Machine. You can use Time Machine onto Drobo 1, then use another utility to back up Drobo 1 to Drobo 2 (doesn't it come with backup software? That would work if so.).

jW

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/528.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/528.16)

Why do you feel the need to back up your Drobo to another Drobo? Drobo has redundant file backup built-in, yes?

6. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

Mal - thanks for reading my post and understanding! I'll look into some programmes unless anyone can recommend any?

RumMunkey (great name)- even though the drobo is 'safe', it's my only backup and i've heard some bad horror story's...when you have this many TB of data, and especially client work, you have to have another copy somewhere else.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If the Drobo doesn't come with software or you don't like it, look at Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! (not sure if SuperDuper! has been updated for Leopard).

jW