x2 iPhones, x1 Mac, x2 Users and one iTunes Library... is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scarrab666, May 19, 2009.

1. scarrab666 macrumors member

scarrab666

Right, I know there are similar posts but I want to be really specific with my needs...

I have one Mac Laptop, 2 Users (who use/sync iPhones on each separate account) and Currently 2 separate iTunes Libraries.

I would like:
    One music library shared between the x2 Users though with separate playlists/ratings and no syncing crossovers between our iPhones (i.e I don't want my missus' contacts on my iPhone or her girlie playlists)... if User 2 imports (or purchases {we share the same iTunes store details})music I would like User 1 to see the imported or purchased music in the Library automatically (& vice versa) and no permissions errors (don't mind keeping the music in Users/Shared if that's what it takes).

Is this achievable?:confused:

2. scarrab666 thread starter macrumors member

scarrab666

Nothing Really?

No response at all to this? someone must have the same wants as me surely!?
    :confused:

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Ihave looked into this for different situations.

It is my understanding that while you can have a shared library with two xml files containing rating/settings playlists (one for each user), when you do that adding music by one user will add the song listings only to that user's xml file. The other one will have to do it manually.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can have both users share the same library and have both phones synced to the same library, but you can't have either phone synced to 2 separate libraries short of manually managing your music.

5. Chronos1976 macrumors newbie

YES you can!

Hi,

If you hold the option key (or shift key on windoze) when starting iTunes, a dialogue appears asking you to change library, create library or quit.

You can create a separate library for each device. Each time you want to sync a device, you will need to restart iTunes with the option key held down to change to the appropriate library.

This way, I keeps 3 iPods synced with one iTunes, each with different songs and playlists but one iTunes account. Hope this helps.

6. scarrab666 thread starter macrumors member

scarrab666

Thanks for the replies

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help... I'm going to continue using up the hard disk space by running two separate libraries at the moment and hope that in Snow Leopard they perhaps find a solution to this issue (in fairness given the permissions and security concerns involved this is probably a pretty hard thing to achieve)... But I cant be the only one who's got this on their wish-list!?

Gavlar

7. young shiz macrumors newbie

Have you made a call/visit to Apple? Not that the Genius Bar boys are that savy all the time but they may be able to assist you.

8. Chronos1976 macrumors newbie

The "Genius" at our local Apple store didn't know you could create multiple libraries for iTunes, how to switch between them, or how to share the same music between libraries, so milage will vary.:rolleyes: