X25-M SSD in netbook hackintosh

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by leonstafford, Oct 14, 2009.

1. leonstafford macrumors regular

I needed a notebook quick and only had $500, and the used Macs started at $720 here in a big computer store in Japan. So, having used an MSI Wind netbook hackintosh before, I grabbed a similar Acer Aspire One A150 netbook for $250 and grabbed a new X25-M 80GB for about the same $250.

The A150 is a total pain to swap hard drives, unlike the Wind, but everything went fine and installed an osx86 10.5.7 distro easily (SL requires more brain cells than I had time for!).

The system seems fast. Is 100% SILENT until the fan kicks in. I haven't run any big tests on it, it's still stocking the default 1GB RAM only which is likely bottlenecking a lot of processes, but it's a capable machine so far.

I will likely move the SSD into my desktop now as I'm finished with my immediate need for a laptop, and with 4GB RAM and a Celeron D vs an Atom CPU I'm sure it will be more in line with the X25-M screencasts on Youtube...

I think the prices of these are way too high, but if you are an enthusiast, please go out and buy one!

Here's some random pix of the swap process:

Attached Files:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

nice hack. Those A1' are nice to do some hardware hacking/modding.

3. leonstafford thread starter macrumors regular

I'm getting around to doing the SL upgrade now. It's FLYING through the install, using a mounted image. No sound but the fan...

I think I'll have to do something about that pesky fan noise next to have all silence all the time...

4. leonstafford thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update,

I took it out of the A150 shortly after as the speed increase from the disk wasnt enough to make that machine my main workhorse, I have it running in my desktop hackintosh, soon to be back to linux machine, where it flies much better.

I was getting some random freezes which I imagined where SSD related but very rarely...

its totally silent, no heat whatsoever and if it was cheaper, I'd buy them by the dozen now ;)

for media centers, the no noise, no heat thing is a biggie...