x264 HD Video and the PS3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Neobond, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Neobond macrumors regular

So I have spent the better part of an hour trying to find information about playing x264 files on the ps3. Everything I have found is either Windows based or topics from Summer 2007.

Has any new information been released, or new methods of playing these files streamed from my mac been discovered??

Any help with this topic would be great, picking up my PS3 tomorrow.

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If you want to try a free way to stream media to the PS3 the check out MediaTomb. (http://www.mediatomb.cc) You can install it on your Mac using MacPorts. (http://www.macports.org/) Once you change one line in a configuration file, you should be able to share all your pictures, non-DRMd music, and videos to your PS3. The only downside is if you use wifi, it may not be able to stream your videos continuously. I tested a H.264 video I downloaded off of YouTube and it stuttered after about 5 seconds. A wired connection my be more reliable. Audio plays with no problem.

Another alternative is to just get an external hard drive, format as Fat32, and copy all your videos to it.

3. BR0DY macrumors newbie

Do you just connect the external HD directly to the PS3? What about adding x264 to the internal HD?
    I have an 'apple tv' ,but I've gotten frustrated with how much time it takes to convert media using 'visualhub'.
    I'd like to have to ability to display media I download directly to my LCD tv.

4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Yep, just copy you videos to the external HD and plug it into the PS3. Once you have it connected you can select videos, press TRIANGLE, and copy them to the internal hard drive.