X3 Terran Conflict. Please Take A Look...

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by DryEyez, Oct 26, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I'm eyeing X3 Terran Conflict in the app store for not a bad price of £14.00, I'm curious mainly on performance as there doesn't seem to be any listed sys requirements for the mac version on the app store? (something which always annoys me as some do and some don't)

So could anyone tell me what sort of performance I should expect from my MBP.

13" MBP 2010, 2.4GHZ C2D, Nvidia GT 320m 256mb

Thanks for input, reply asap so I can start downloading X3, I miss her...

2. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I am in the same boat as you.

It's basically a modern interpretation of Elite, which is the best game ever made (especially the Apple II version).

But I would like to know if it runs well.

3. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Not sure about MBP. Runs great on my 2010 27in iMac.

4. berndkiltz macrumors member

I've been playing Terran Conflict extensively on PC.
    And that was a pretty good Machine, although it lagged sometimes in Sectors mith many Ships and Asteroids.
    I tried it via Bootcamp on my MacPro (2008, 8x2,8 GHZ 8GB Ram Nvidia 8800GT) and it ran ok.

For your MacBook, I would NOT recommend it, at least not the mac Version.
    The Mac Version is converted with a special Programm, wich also suffers from minor performance issues.
    If you really want to play that wonderful Game, install bootcamp and download the demo on egosoft.com where you can get a performance rating.

Good Luck
    B

5. montys-mate macrumors newbie

It runs dreadful on my 27inch, i5 imac - i paid £30 for it and it's a waste of money my advise is stay away.

6. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

It runs perfectly on my iMac 27" 2010 model (i7 cpu) with all details on. It's has a relatively light engine so it shouldn't be a problem on most mac models.

7. montys-mate macrumors newbie

I am not using bootcamp, but it's terrible on mine the frame rate drops even when there is no fighting. I looks like poor code to me, but i could be wrong.

8. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Hm...that's odd.

No bootcamp here too. Using the native (...I hope it is native) version for Mac bought from the app store. Gives me the impression that it has a very light graphics engine.

On a fight scene with 8 enemy ships, no frame rate drops at all on me - iMac 27" i7 2010 model, with ATI Radeon HD 5750 1Gb.

9. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Not using bootcamp either, MAS version. Runs prefectly fine on my 27' iMac i5.

10. montys-mate macrumors newbie

What setting are you lot using for the i5, i even have that graphics card?

11. stellardream macrumors member

The scope and size of X3 universe doesn't even come close to Elite, unfortunately. I've been playing X series since X2 on and off. My main gripe has always been is that you get very tiny sector with 3 or 4 (for the most part) gates. So, in my mind Elite still beats X series in that regard. I hope this will change in X-Rebirth but I probably keep my hopes too high. I want to explore space, not just some tiny neighborhood stuffed with space stations.

EVE Online is the one that is modern day Elite. In fact CCP stated that they were inspired by Elite when they designed the game. I wish X was like EVE but a single player :)

12. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Yeah, but Elite took two seconds to learn and forever to master.

Eve is brutal, I gave up after 10 minutes.

13. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Exactly. I loved playing EVE it was fun and had required a lot of time to be put into it. I want a single player version of that also.