Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Universe trader automatically goes between sectors/buys upgrades etc. You don’t pick a sector for a UT. Set up the sector trader & wait until they’re level 10, then you can go back and change them to a UT.

they can become UT at level 8 but best wait for level 10 or preferably 12 as they’ll be better with how they avoid enemies.
And at level 10, after upgrading them to UT, you just turn them loose? Are they limited to places you have explored, or will they go anywhere?
Thanks!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
And at level 10, after upgrading them to UT, you just turn them loose? Are they limited to places you have explored, or will they go anywhere?
Thanks!

Just places you’ve explored buddy :) be sure to blacklist any pirate sectors!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
You can do both fighting and trading in the same game.
Yeah, I never examined the difference between the versions to see where they could go plots and all, noticing that the App store has Terran Conflict for a low price so will get it and see where it goes.

(edit, shall be following the info, cheers).

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
And do you just turn them loose? :p

Yeah as soon as you set them as a sector trader you don’t control them. You could follow them around if you really wanted to I guess... but it’d be slow and boring.

Just make sure you’re doing something while they’re doing that or you leave them automated with SETA overnight so you’ll wake up to a little more bacon than you left with.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah as soon as you set them as a sector trader you don’t control them. You could follow them around if you really wanted to I guess... but it’d be slow and boring.

Just make sure you’re doing something while they’re doing that or you leave them automated with SETA overnight so you’ll wake up to a little more bacon than you left with.

I don’t understand the bolded.
How do you set them as sector traders? By virtue of the Mk3 Trading software?
Is there a way to leave them automated overnight when you are idle so they continue to trade and make profits?
If you get tired of answering questions, I understand. :)
Thanks!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I don’t understand the bolded.
How do you set them as sector traders? By virtue of the Mk3 Trading software?
Is there a way to leave them automated overnight when you are idle so they continue to trade and make profits?
If you get tired of answering questions, I understand. :)
Thanks!

1) Equip their ship with MK3 Trading Software

2) Press R on your keyboard to display all your ships

3) Click that ship, select Orders > Command Console

4) Select Trade

5) Click Start Sector Trader

6) Select a sector

7) ???

8) Profit

They’ll auto source stuff in that sector. You can then click Info on the ship and it’ll show the Pilot level next to the Pilot. It’ll only show up once they’ve started the sector trader.

Starting level is (1). Max level is (25). From level (8) you go through the same process and Universe Trader will be an option you can select.

And yes, use SETA. Set to 1000%, fly way out into space so nothing crashes into you. Enable SETA and leave her running overnight. You’ll come back to find some fat stacks in your account, providing your trader hasn’t been blown up by pirates.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
1) Equip their ship with MK3 Trading Software

2) Press R on your keyboard to display all your ships

3) Click that ship, select Orders > Command Console

4) Select Trade

5) Click Start Sector Trader

6) Select a sector

7) ???

8) Profit

They’ll auto source stuff in that sector. You can then click Info on the ship and it’ll show the Pilot level next to the Pilot. It’ll only show up once they’ve started the sector trader.

Starting level is (1). Max level is (25). From level (8) you go through the same process and Universe Trader will be an option you can select.

And yes, use SETA. Set to 1000%, fly way out into space so nothing crashes into you. Enable SETA and leave her running overnight. You’ll come back to find some fat stacks in your account, providing your trader hasn’t been blown up by pirates.

Probably a stupid question, but can SETA be turned on while you are stationary? I assume yes for the overnight deal to work. I’ll have to test that while docked at a station.

I’m surprised that ships would crash into you as a stationary freighter. Even though technically there is unlimited space, the game is divided into sectors connected by gates. I wonder if in the current sector, if you set a course towards empty space, turned on SETA, and left it overnight, where you might find yourself the next day? :)

To confirm, there is no level for yourself or the pilot in the remote ship before setting up a sector Trader?

In the game, yesterday I got promoted to Trader.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it! :D

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Probably a stupid question, but can SETA be turned on while you are stationary? I assume yes for the overnight deal to work. I’ll have to test that while docked at a station.

I’m surprised that ships would crash into you as a stationary freighter. Even though technically there is unlimited space, the game is divided into sectors connected by gates. I wonder if in the current sector, if you set a course towards empty space, turned on SETA, and left it overnight, where you might find yourself the next day? :)

To confirm, there is no level for yourself or the pilot in the remote ship before setting up a sector Trader?

In the game, yesterday I got promoted to Trader.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it! :D

Yes for stationary but no whilst at a station. So you’ll need to fly out into space and then SETA.

You don’t need to float waaaaaay out into space though. Just 90 clicks or so from the furthest station to ensure nothing hits you. Then stop, remain stationary, and SETA.

Correct, no pilot in the stationary ship without trade MK3. No level required, though purchasing some items does require recognition with the races. So you can’t just waltz into a Paranid shipyard and buy their flagship destroyer. You’ll need a certain amount of reputation with them. Reputation is gained by trading with them or bashing up pirates & Xenons in their space.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Went to buy a Mk3 Nav dohickey and it’s 500k, doh. I only had 450k... while I accrue the extra needed funds, looking for a list of the best sectors for sector trading.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was recently switched to Alban Prelude just because. Flying around I was offered a used Buster Sentinel for 190k credits, as i understand it about half off. I had limited time to make a decision so I had just scored this very easy 500k mission to move some people from one sector to another. I have no clue why it was labeled "hard". I did have cargo life support installed.

But I am wondering from my point. Now that i have it, I need to figure out what to do with it. My understanding is that it's a fighter, but I need a guide for the best way to upgrade it. Also it's hull is about 80% and I need to figure out if repairing it myself is worthwhile or way too time consuming.

Can I tell this thing to follow me around and protect me? :)

Anyway a link: https://roguey.co.uk/x3tc/ships/ship-21/

6.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For anyone playing and @keysofanxiety ;) , can you tell me about drones for freighter protection when used on a Sector Trader- are they independent or must you constantly micromanage them? I've been looking for a guide that addresses this, but have yet to find it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
For anyone playing and @keysofanxiety ;) , can you tell me about drones for freighter protection when used on a Sector Trader- are they independent or must you constantly micromanage them? I've been looking for a guide that addresses this, but have yet to find it.

Independent, just ensure the freighter has MK2 Fight Software installed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Independent, just ensure the freighter has MK2 Fight Software installed.

Thank you. My understanding is that the sector trader will replace any that are lost? If so, what happens when it's working a sector that does not sell them? I'll have to research how many a Mercury holds, and am wondering if they are sold individually or in a package?

I thought it needs 500k credits, MK3 software for sector and universal trading?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last night I was in an Agron sector and a ship flies by with a credit sign on it (meaning money making opportunity for those not familiar). The guy was selling his Mercury Super Freighter for... 30k credits! I took a double take and, SOLD! Now it’s lacking in shields which my understanding is maxed out at 5-25k shield which only cost about 500k, :rolleyes: but I think (hope) I got a deal. This is the third used ship I have purchased. I have 3 Mercury’s and need to get two of them sector trading. I really hate remotely managing just one extra ship’s trading.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How to quickly make money. Golly it works, thanks @keysofanxiety! In Albion Prelude, I’ve got two sector traders working. To start I chose Queen’s Space and The Hole. As I quit the game, I save it, then from my station save point I drive about 90km away and stop to be sure that SETA (time compression) remains turned on. The reason you must do this, is that if you remain close to the sector infrastructure, you will be scanned by authorities which turns off SETA. The next morning the money has rolled in. this really offers you freedom from trade run tedium, allowing you to explore, pick up missions and do occasional trading. It’s a good idea to save periodically because you never know when something might happen. With SETA on and stationary, out of the way, I’m estimating a rate of about 400k credits income per hour.

Is this cheating? Yes sorta.
Does it reduce grind? Yes, and it allows you to do other things, because you know your minions are raking in the dough while you are off adventuring!

I started as a Humble Trader in the Argon Sectors. When I decide to turn the Sector traders into Universe traders, I have to figure out how to turn on the blacklist. There are definitely some sectors I’ve seen, the black pirate sectors that have to be crossed to get over to Legend’s Home for a docking computer. It’s better to jump over those sectors, unless there is something in there you want, like commandeering a pirate ship, but I’m not there yet.

A goal is to get my foot in the door with the Paranid sectors to the South. I believe this is done by trading with the border sectors to unlock their exterior sectors.

Edit: This morning I had 5M credits, now I have almost 8 million. I realize some of you may hate this, but for me, it opens the game up. :)

Apologies to keysofanxiety, I should have given him credit when i first posted this.:oops:

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In post 1 I added some info. Yes, it's messy. I'll try to slowly get it cleaned up and included a table of contents at the top.
[doublepost=1515373557][/doublepost]
Universe trader automatically goes between sectors/buys upgrades etc. You don’t pick a sector for a UT. Set up the sector trader & wait until they’re level 10, then you can go back and change them to a UT.

they can become UT at level 8 but best wait for level 10 or preferably 12 as they’ll be better with how they avoid enemies.
I thought I read that at some level of XP that Sector Traders could be set to go to adjoining sectors, but I could easily be confused about this.
[doublepost=1515376359][/doublepost]Mission Difficulty

Always read what the mission is even if it says EXTREMELY HARD. Some of those mission transport personnel to the next sector over in, 20 minutes are doable even without a jump drive, because there is only jump involved and you are only going one way, not over and back, and they can include a huge payout of $1M credits. Just make sure early in the game you make a long journey (starting in Argon sectors) over to The Vault (Teledi) Sector and get Cargo Life Support. This is a must for some of the big payoffs.

There is nothing tricky about Cargo Life Support, you just install it and it works for throwing people in the cargo holds.

If you don’t have a jump drive and it says Very Easy, not so fast! If it’s under about 30 minutes, I’m not saying it’s impossible but you’ll be pressed to make two jump over and back and make the time limit. If it’s 10min, just chuckle and say NO THANKS! The SETA can be deceiving. It make you feel like you are going faster, but you are not. It's just time slips by faster.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
OK, game progress, I've got 4 sector traders functioning and have accrued 22 million credits (sector traders doing the majority of the work). I am really happy I am not grinding these credits. :) I've been flying the vicinity around Argon, I've got friendly enough with the Paranid to start trading with them in their core systems. I'll put a sector trader down there, something like Empire's Edge or Paranoid Prime.

The next topic is I need to break into the Universe Trader.
Do Universe Traders explore, or do they only go where you have explored? I assume the latter.
* How do you set up a blacklist?
* How do you adequately protect universe traders. I noticed that my super freighter sector trader is carrying 12 drones, thatbI did not put there. Is this for protection or to sell somewhere?
* How do you set up a ship to auto explore? I heard that can be done.
* How do you handle luxury transport? Is this a matter of turning a transport loose as a sector trader and go from there? The jobs demanding luxury transportation seem to be few.

After Universe trader, I see the possibilities are to:
1) start setting up stations
2) do one of the plots/story lines.
3) start taking combat missions
4) learn how to commandeer ships. I think I saw a Cdr Dave video on that.
5) what else?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When I went to be last night, I had 45M credits. This morning when I woke up I had 82M credits. This is with 5 sector traders. Although they are called sector traders, as they gain experience they can travel up to 3 jumps into neighboring territory. I just checked and I'm about to break 114M C*. My next plan is to build a couple of stations, most likely Solar Power Stations. :):)

* Keep in mind this is with SETA (Singularity Engine Time Accelerator) turned on. This rate is approximately 5M an hour. If I were to leave it on regular time, it would be more like 500K per hour, so I would have awakened this morning with more like 4M accrued since last night.

I'm waiting for the criticism... :p Just keep in mind my goal in this game is ideally avoid grind and not to spend my life making trades, although I still am roaming the galaxy acting like a free agent, doing what I want to do, and not worrying about not having enough money to to it.

This is not to say there is no grind involved, there is, but once you get enough cash to start up a sector trader, about 700k credits, things will improve rapidly from that point on, and of course keep your gaming running all night long. ;)

Also note, I chose Humble Trader which starts you with 2 ships which makes a huge difference as far as getting going. My understanding is that most people sell one of them (The Discover) to raise enough cash to out fit the other ship (a Mercury TS freighter). Then they start trading in the Argon Sector where this game choice is based.

I have no experience with starting out as a fighter pilot, so I am not familiar with raising money going that route. I chose trader because it seemed to be the best way to raise funds early in the game. And it does not preclude me from buying fighters and start fighting. :):)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Updated Post 1. Added note of my intent to turn this into a google doc so the formatting won't be wretched here in the forum.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
X3 Tip of the Day: For BIG saves, such as you left your game running all night long and you want to lock in your profits, do not make your first ship docking (to save) with SETA engaged... especially if flying a Kestral! Mine decided to crash, and I lost 30 Million Credits. Even though I had 580M credits, that still makes me cry! ;) :( Since then, I make sure I’m using a Docking Computer.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
  • How to Read the Sector Map and navigate to a position
    -When the Sector Map (default key “.”) is opened, on the edge of the map you will see x on the right edge, -x on left edge, z on top edge, and -z on bottom edge. These are the horizontal coordinates of the map. The vertical coordinate is Y. This is seen by using the INSERT key to rotate the map 90° to a vertical orientation.
    - Coordinate Readout:
    The coordinates of the green cursor are listed at the bottom right of the sector map stacked X (top), Y (middle) Z (bottom). They have no labels that identify them. Note, there they are listed as kilometers such as 38.5 km.
    - Note about reading and entering coordinates: If you are reading coordinates from the lower right of your HUD, or from an online source, they may appear as meters or kilometers. Note that when you see a comma in a coordinate position, don’t confuse it with degrees, minutes, and seconds used with Earth lat-long positioning. The comma you see here is a thousands marker. (Example: 56,850 is fifty six thousand, eight hundred fifty.)
    - Move the cursor:
    The cursor is moved by 4,6,2,8 numbers on your keyboard keypad. You’ll see the cursor and coordinates change
    - Positions on map are listed as X, Y, Z so for example if you are using the X3 Wiki reference for the Ministry of Finance Sector (http://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Ministry_Of_Finance), it will list the West Gate as: West -56,850 (x), 0 (y), -69,375 (z).
    - To find this location, open the sector map and press the 4 or 6 key to move in the x direction, press 8 or 2 in the Z direction. Then press the INSERT key to rotate the map to the vertical orientation and use the 8 or 2 to move the cursor in the Y plane. After it’s properly set, hit ENTER and your ship will fly in that direction.
    - Using the Go To Coordinates Command: This command can be used remotely. It will ask you to enter coordinates, separated by a comma. The meter, kilometer distinction is important to note, because when you enter coordinates for the Go To Coordinates Command, that entry is made in meters, leaving out the comma that designates thousands!
    - Of Note, I have not yet found a way to designate the cursor as a fly too target. There could be a way.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Holy crap, I've been to Omicron Lyrae, Circle of Labour, Heretic's end, and Treasure Chest in the Eastern Argon Sectors and there is a frick'n war going on here, they all turned RED! With all the nukes going off I barely made it out of there. I'm supposed to trade over here? :p:p

In addition after I blacklisted Omirecon Lyrae a war zone,I had a UT Mistral killed there on it's own. I had read that blacklisting does not keep them out of a blacklisted sector, it just keeps them from docking there. So tonight I shut down my 3 UTs until I figure out how to handle them. Thoughts appreciated from any X3 players!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
X3 Tip of the Day: For BIG saves, such as you left your game running all night long and you want to lock in your profits, do not make your first ship docking (to save) with SETA engaged... especially if flying a Kestral! Mine decided to crash, and I lost 30 Million Credits. Even though I had 580M credits, that still makes me cry! ;) :( Since then, I make sure I’m using a Docking Computer.

• How To Use A Docking Computer: http://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Docking_Computer (Shift-D) The Docking Computer allieviates the alignment maneuvering observed when docking at a station. More importantly it shaves off precious minutes when on a mission and time is of the essence and most importantly avoids some crashes when the autopilot fails to maneuver the ship correctly, especially when SETA is being used. It is not recommended that SETA be used during docking because although docking works most of the time, in 5% of the docking maneuver you get a crash (especially using a fast ship like a Kestrel) and may loose precious time and money.
    - It only works within 4.5km of the station, and when used, the ship instantaneously docks.
    - Note: If you wait until the 4.5 km, you may have already entered the alignment phase and engaging Shift-D may not work, ie, the ship continues on it’s alignment maneuver.
    -The preferred way to use the Docking Computer is to double click on station and select “Dock at Station”, which engages the autopilot, automatically pointing you at the station and enroute, avoids obstacles. When you have a clear shot at the station and within 20 km, click off the autopilot (I usually bump the nose with my mouse steering), adjust the nose onto the station, leave SETA engaged till 6-9km, click that off and drill in directly at the station until the 4.5km mark and then Shift-D for an instantaneous docking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.