x64 Windows Xp Pro - Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Scott B, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Scott B macrumors newbie

Hey there.

Trying to get some information about Windows Xp x64 drivers for the Macbook Pro?

Has anyone had the OS working (with all drivers and bootcamp installed) before?

Would be great to have some light shed on this.

Computer in question is a 2.53ghz 4gb MBP

Thanks

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Installing XP was a pain, even on Fusion 3 (VM). My advice just get Win7, it works ok.

3. hajime macrumors 601

I heard that there are some problems using XP 64-bit on the MBP. Vista Ultimate 64-bit works fine under both bootcamp and fusion.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Lol xp 64 bit is not supported so there are no drivers. Heck there is very little software that works with that obsolete OS. Use the 32 bit version, it is much faster, or use vista or windows 7 32 bit. 64 bit versions of vista and win7 will work too, but it will be slow.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you honestly saying that 64 bit is always slower than 32 bit?

This is simply not true! In most cases Vista 64 and W7 64 are generally faster than their 32 bit versions. Unless you starve it of resources (mainly RAM).

FWIW, I agree with everyone that XP64 should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

B

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

For 4 GB, 32 bit will be much faster than 64 bit, especially since most programs run in 32 bit mode anyways.

6 GB and 8 GB ram is very expensive presently, it's not likely that he will upgrade anytime soon, so there's no point of getting 64 bit. There are even cases that show 4 gb ram and 32 bit is faster than 6 gb ram and 64 bit for the same applications.

Cheers.

7. badegg macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm having a real hard time finding XP64 drivers, also. The only one that worked on the OSX DVD was BT installed like a charm.

If anyone has theirs working, please post up link to driver locations. Here is what I need.

- NVidia 320M for video (13" MBP) not listed on NVidia's website driver page, so no way to d/l from them.
    - Intel HD Sound
    - NVidia chipset
    - Mac touchpad
    - Mac Keyboard

Here is my list of hardware from the System Info page in OSX.

Intel HD Audio
    Broadcom BT v186 c396
    Broadcom 5764 Ethernet
    NVidia 320M 256MB
    AirPort Extreme Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0

I have the W/L and LAN drivers. Email/PM me if you need them. I'm a good sport, but this running around to find 64-bit drivers in 2010 is BS. I was told at the Apple Store that I could run XP64 on the MacBook. Hey, whatever makes a sale, I guess.

Every OS I have tried that had a 32 and a 64 bit version seemed to run faster as 64 bit. Opening apps, saving files, browsing the Web, etc all seemed faster to me as 64.

It will be a shame to have to run XP32 on this Dual-Core, < 1 month old MacBookPro, esp when there's a perfectly good XP64 license right here.

8. chrfr macrumors 604

XP 64-bit suffers from such poor compatibility with everything, I can't imagine suffering with it. You won't even have functional graphics drivers and Apple will certainly never make XP 64 drivers for its hardware.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Links?

I have 64 on my MBP and 32 on my MB. My experience so far is that for 64 bit apps, 64 is miles faster than 32 bit even on my 4 GB systems. If you are running a lot of older/32 bit apps that would push me towards 32 bit.

B

10. badegg macrumors newbie

So it looks like we've established that some people aren't fans of XP64. I still need drivers, and I'll just settle for video and audio at this point.

I've found a workaround for the touchpad drivers - just use a two-button mouse.

The video is from NVidia, and the audio is from Intel, so we don't have to worry about Apple making XP64 drivers for "their hardware", because they're vendor components.

Imma go ahead and start a new thread. If you'll need 64-bit drivers, search for it or PM me. I'll see what I can find. Apple website and Apple Techs sofar have come up w/ zip.