x64 XP Pro SP2 + New x64 Vista Drivers..?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by anthonyjr, Jan 26, 2008.

1. anthonyjr macrumors member

anthonyjr

Has anyone tried installing x64 XP Pro SP2 using the new x64 drivers that shipped with the early 2008 Mac Pros?

I mainly want to know if the Apple keyboard mapping software works under x64 XP Pro SP2, being that all other drivers for a mac pro with x64 Windows can be found elsewhere if all else fails.

If not, I'll be trying it out next week when my new hard drive comes in.

2. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

So will you be installing Windows on a separate HD? Do you install bootcamp on that HD first? How exactly does the process go?

3. RonOot macrumors newbie

I plan on installing vista on its own hard drive when my machine gets here. Having never used bootcamp before, I'm wondering if there are any good tutorials for this? Mainly I just want to confirm that I can in fact give windows its own hard drive.

4. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I read on the apple site ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306823 ) that you can. I'm gonna install a windows xp 32 bit version i think. (Its what i'm running on my Dell now)

5. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

You can only install an authentic version of Windows on your Mac Pro. You cannot use the Windows XP disc you got with your Dell system. This is extremely important. Buy an authentic version of windows at a store because or else you will end up ruining your Mac Pro.

6. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Right, i wasnt gonna use my original. I'll have to buy a new version as well :(

7. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Ruining?? How so?? Can you please elaborate??:confused:

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It won't ruin your system but using OEM disks have the possibility of not working, plus its illegal. Its fine if its a store bought copy and its no longer on the dell though. :)

9. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

:apple::)
    What I mean by ruining your Mac Pro is that because its such an expensive machine you shouldn't temper with it too much. Bootcamp requires an authentic Windows disc and if you have a windows XP discmade by Dell bootcamp will not run properly since that dell disc is only made to run on Dell's systems. It is very important to use a windows XP disc that is authentic. :) :apple::) I also bought a brand new Mac Pro and I am planning on installing XP on it. I am planning on partioning it with 250GB for Windows and 250GB for Mac OSX. If your Windows partition is over 32GB format it using NTFS and not FAT!

10. 3dw macrumors newbie

I've installed XP64 bits on a new Macpro and all is working ok, except:
    keyboard has wrong keys (" and @) and ejectCD, soundvolume etc won't work.

I have 2 Hard drives, one with OSX and one with XP. no boot camp.
    I had to get a second HD because boot camp was conflicting with the licence system of the software I use (3dsmax). I would recomment doing that (if you can) as is seems to avoid problems of having the 2 OSes sharing a boot drive.

11. anthonyjr thread starter macrumors member

anthonyjr

I'm surprised you found my old thread. I ended up buying a second HDD and installed XP Pro SP2 x64 on it. The new x64 drivers (from an early 2008 MP) wouldn't load up. I guess they are truely Vista x64 only.

12. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Also make sure your retail copy includes service pack 2. I personally used Vista 64 and had no problems whatsoever. Bootcamp is all self explanitory, but it will give you a link to print out step by step instructions if you need them.

13. 3dw macrumors newbie

yes, I'm kind of thinking I'll install Vista in the future. but this is working ok for now... Just a question though, has anyone got the keyboard to work ok on XP64 ? and if so, how ?
    many thanks.

14. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Has anyone figured out how to install Vista 64bit to a drive connected to ODD? None of the drivers on the 08 CD works. Also tried to install on a partition on a RAID 5 but that won't work either :mad:

15. breadman macrumors newbie

i had the same problem today. i tried installing xp using bootcamp and when i got to the screen that requested i use the enter key on my keyboard i tried but it didn't recognize my keyboard, any suggestions?
    paul

16. cokersa macrumors member

I assume you have a bluetooth keyboard? I had to buy a cheap USB keyboard to get through the install process. The BT keyboard will work after you've finished the XP install and then load the Bootcamp drivers.

17. breadman macrumors newbie

no bluetooth keyboard, regular usb. it might be that i am installing from a service pack 2 xp disc. it did bring back haunting memories of using windows from 8 years ago. that ugly blue screen and that over-sized blinking white font made me feel all warm inside that i had switched to a mac. after running leopard now for 5 days has been great and upgrading from a g4800 powerbook to this is amazing.
    thanks for the input though any other suggestions?
    paul

18. cokersa macrumors member

Hmm. Well, I don't have any specific suggestions. I never loaded XP64 on my system - I started with XPSP2 (32bit) while bootcamp was an early beta, and then went straight to Vista Ultimate 64bit (and ran it for about eight months without bootcamp, before the bootcamp 64 bit drivers recently became available). I never had an issue with my USB keyboard (the BT keyboard was unusable without the bootcamp drivers). I know there is a healthy debate about XP versus Vista. For what I run (mostly Office apps and a few games - working on The Orange Box right now), Vista64 has been by far the most stable version of Windows I've ever used (and I've used just about all of them). Unless you have a specific reason to run XP64, you might consider using Vista64.

19. Tracer macrumors 6502

Vista will probably have better Mac Pro driver support than XP.

Meaning Vista will have more drivers built into the OS.

Obviously you should use whatever version you have but most hardware is fully supported.

Tracer

20. breadman macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies, i will try and get ahold of a copy of vista. it was really only to try out a few games not available for the mac and some bookeeping software.
    thanks
    paul