X800XT or wait for X850XT Retail

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
94
0
Canada
I really would like to get a new card for my G5, but can decide what to do, should I buy a X800XT or try and wait for a X850XT to become retail. Does anyone know when the X850's will be available to buy retail (a rough date?)? Is there alot more benifits with the X850 then there is with the X800 (spec wise)?
Do either of these cards heat up the computer alot?
~Thanks~
 

gabt

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2005
8
0
Wait 'till August

Hey,

I'm also looking to upgrade my video card. Was looking at the 800XT. I called ATI to ask them about it, and the technician actually advised me to wait 'till mid August to upgrade my card. He said ATI releases their new products in July/August, and that a new Mac card was likely (he couldn't confirm it, of course). I also asked about the possibility of a 512MB card, he said it was not out of the question. I couldn't believe he was willing to give up this info. Bottom line, and I quote him: "If you don't need it now, wait a month or so."

Good luck...

Gab
 

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
1,242
0
One Endless Loop
gabt said:
Hey,

I'm also looking to upgrade my video card. Was looking at the 800XT. I called ATI to ask them about it, and the technician actually advised me to wait 'till mid August to upgrade my card. He said ATI releases their new products in July/August, and that a new Mac card was likely (he couldn't confirm it, of course). I also asked about the possibility of a 512MB card, he said it was not out of the question. I couldn't believe he was willing to give up this info. Bottom line, and I quote him: "If you don't need it now, wait a month or so."

Good luck...

Gab

DAMN! Just bought one. :mad:
 

ArmouredGuitar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
94
0
Canada
gabt said:
Hey,

I'm also looking to upgrade my video card. Was looking at the 800XT. I called ATI to ask them about it, and the technician actually advised me to wait 'till mid August to upgrade my card. He said ATI releases their new products in July/August, and that a new Mac card was likely (he couldn't confirm it, of course). I also asked about the possibility of a 512MB card, he said it was not out of the question. I couldn't believe he was willing to give up this info. Bottom line, and I quote him: "If you don't need it now, wait a month or so."

Good luck...

Gab
Hmmmm probably new cards for pc users, us mac users never get it at the same time :(
 

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
1,458
1,262
Houston
I would wait for the X850 to be released and then buy the X800. You should see a significant price drop at that point. As one user stated, the performance difference is not substantial.
 

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
1,093
0
Sydney Australia
Sounds great there will be a new card for Mac being released. Will this result in the cards already on the market becoming a little cheaper.

I am after a Radeon 9800 for my G4 tower.


aussie_geek