Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bandelier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I recently upgraded to Leopard & had my virtual host environment go all squirrelly on me after loading... I used XAMPP to install apache/php/mysql/phpmyadmin, etc... - server starts up fine, php is working, and the sample tables XAMPP provides display just fine. One thing that's not working is phpmyadmin - when i navigate to the /localhost/phpmyadmin, I encounter an error:

"cannot start session without errors, please check errors given in your PHP and/or webserver log file and configure your PHP installation properly"

php's running fine - sample pages pulling mysql table info are A-OK. It's only phpmyadmin which is giving me fits, and I use this exclusively to run my dynamic sites.

Anyone else having these issues? Any ideas?

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
You might check out this thread I started. I've not installed Leopard (or purchased). Something in there might help you.

LINK

bandelier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Fixed this - by simply switching to php4 in the XAMPP console & restarting all.

prakashc

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Same Problem

"Cannot start session without errors, please check errors given in your PHP and/or webserver log file and configure your PHP installation properly."

Yes, the problem goes away when switching to PHP 4 but it seems a shame to do without PHP 5.2. It's probably just a configuration issue - so a solution would be very useful.

prakashc

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Solved

Just as I thought - the problem is to do with the "session.save_path" directive.

Open the file /xmapp/etc/php.ini

and uncomment the line that reads

; session.save_path = /tmp

to read

session.save_path = /tmp

Save the file. Restart xampp. All done.

bandelier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Thanks prakashc! Great solution - I uncommented that line, and can now at least get the phpmyadmin to load up w/PHP v5.2...However... I'm now experiencing a new issue - I can't import any db's or tables. get the following error:

No data was received to import. Either no file name was submitted, or the file size exceeded the maximum size permitted by your PHP configuration. See FAQ 1.16.

My settings are all good inside the php.ini file in terms of file upload size & max size, so FAQ 1.16 is not the solution to this specific issue. One thing I have noticed is an SSL error when shutting Apache down with the XAMPP console - wonder if it's related to this, and what the issue could possibly be? I've read that security is much tighter in the Leopard server configuration, but am lost again as to how to get this thing up & running...

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
Can I just say I use a tool called MAMP - seems to be specifically designed for macs. I tend to prefer it over XAMPP as it comes with a great UI tool for the settings of everything. Lacks a few features like FTP etc, but Ive never had a need for them.

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.